• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TnT LA install help

mojojojo

NAXJA Forum User
got everything installed but....i have 2 issues to figure out.

1. how do u get the stock upper control arm bolt out ? (the one thru the frame) looks kinda funny right now with 2 upper control arms on each side, lol. :wierd:

2. i got the wheel base set. i know how to adjust the caster but, i don't fully understand how to measure the caster angle ?

open to suggestions. Thanks :D

needsrepair said:
Go Jeep has a write up, but I couldnt hit on it. Here is his home page. I just looked at it yesterday.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/index.htm

i read that, but he talks about some funky way of measuring the angle.(he says using an angle square against 2 bolts on the diff cover) what 2 bolts ? it didn't make sense to me, i guess i am looking for a simpler solution.

Last edited:
Is the upper control arm bolt siezed inside the bushing?
I had this problem, what you can do is take a sawz-all and a long metal cutting blade. Wedge the blade in between one side of the control arm, and cut the bolt, then cut the other side, this way the control arm will come out, and you can just tap the bolt head out if you want, or just leave it in.

Begster said:
Is the upper control arm bolt siezed inside the bushing?
I had this problem, what you can do is take a sawz-all and a long metal cutting blade. Wedge the blade in between one side of the control arm, and cut the bolt, then cut the other side, this way the control arm will come out, and you can just tap the bolt head out if you want, or just leave it in.

i can turn it, but only as far as the lock will let me 360*. i was considering the sawzall, but figured i was missing somthing, so i thought i'd ask what i was doing wrong first.

Ya when I went to put my drop brackets on, I had the 2 upper control arm bolts on the frame side sieze inside the bushings, and one of the lower control arm super flex joints on the axle side.
Take a close look at the metal inner piece of the bushing, try turning the bolt, and if the metal piece turns too, its probably siezed.
I take it trying to hammer on the end of the bolt a little didn't help? (I know, there is almost no room to hammer either side)

Hes using a protractor. I bought an angle gauger. You can also use it when you set up your ubolt eliminators. Like he says, when you measure of the diff cover its one setting, but if you measure off the c of the axle its the actual caster. The front cover and the tilt of the c are not the same. Hes showing the relationship of the c angle to the diff cover angle. Its a little confusing at first, but not bad. I installed the tnt set up on my 2000 and had to go through it again when I went to the hp30. 2000 and 2001 are low pinion. I also did the frame stiffeners. Did you do the rear end yet?

yur right, not much room. that was my first reaction to hammer it. i can turn the bolt head from the outside. it's not seized in the bushing of the CA. it appears to be just stuck in the frame portion. go figure huh ?

needsrepair said:
You want a magnetic base angle gauge. I think I bought mine at Home Depot.

thats what i have. just need to know where to put it. i tried the top of the coil perch, and on the top of the diff, and a few other places, and i get different readings everywhere. i think from what i read i'm shooting for 6* approx while trying to balance the pinion angle as well.

i know caster is more important than pinion but if the pinions pointing up a lil that means the knuckles are rotated top towards the front? so it's 6* tilt with the axle rolling forward ?

god i hope that makes sense. :dunno:

all the bolts that hold the front cover on are obviously parallel to each other. Hold a squre up to the bolts on the diff cover. (perpendicular to the bolts) Place the angle finder on top of the squre and viola! Or you can just skip the square thing and take the diff cover off and place the angle finder on the mounting surface. Subtract 90 degrees and there ya go...

This is how I did it. Use a small square on two of the bolt heads with the magnetic base angle gauge. Its sitting at an angle on my lawn right now, but its near the 87 degrees hes talking about. You will notice that the front cover is tilted to the front at the top. If you look at the welded c on the axle you will notice that its actually tilted back a little bit. What tnt and him are saying is that when you see 87.5 on the diff cover it should correlate to 6.5 on the caster. Its easier to see it if you try to get the front pinion yoke about straight up and down and then try to get your angle gauge on it some how and you will see about 6.5

IMG_1164.jpg

There isnt a real good place to put the gauge to directly read the caster (welded c) so they go off the front cover and use the relationship between the two. After you get used to looking at it , its no big deal. At first I was like......wtf? be sure the bolts are the same. Not 2 washers under one bolt and no washers under the other bolt. Not being a smart ass, just want to be sure.

Its a pain in the ass jacking around with tose top link adjustments and the big nuts and shit for the long arm, but after its set up you should be cool. I tape measure aligned mine drove it to Co. and back and the tires seem to be doin fine. Anything I can help you with, shoot me a message

Back