• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lockers, LSD and starting launches???

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
so was thinking about which traction device to save up for on my D44. but i have a kind of dumb but still valid question.........i think.

i like driving very aggressively. and once in a while like to launch the jeep coming off the line or taking it to the strip. well i started thinking. even with a stock drivetrain that puts ALOT of load on the axle. so i was thinking that i should either get a locker that's open/locked or run it welded or spooled because that way the shockload is almost non existant. at least as far as the carrier/locker is concerned.

am i overly worried, or is there a valid concern that the shockload of a 4,000ish rpm drop on a limited slip would increase the chances of re-creating the "bing bang theory", and if it was open, spooled or welded it would help reduce it because it's more constant opposed to a sudden shock load.

and yes i know i'll get flamed for "if i want to do that get a sports car", bla bla bla. that's not what i'm asking. because i like my jeep, but once in a while it's nice to show that those little school buses can still play. thanks. :)

Go with a detroit or a spool.

A LSD with cutch packs will wear out FAST. I don't know if I'd trust a Tru-track with that kind of consistant abuse either.

a true trac's lives quite nicely behind 700hp(turbo 347) on slicks launching at over 5000rpm... also lives well in a well built 347 naturally aspirated on slicks launching at 6000rpm.
Fords trac lok... i fitted mine with revised clutch stack, and added an additional clutch to each side(30bux for kit from FoMoCo). 6200rpm launches on slicks... likely over 400 of 'em, (3 seasons racing, includes 2nd gear burnouts every time) and daily drove the car... trac lok has required no serivicing, launches straight as an arrow, and will burn both radials equally on the street.

Only way an LSD(clutch style) wears out is if people let one wheel spin while the other does not... that creates slip on the clutches.

Mike H. said:
a true trac's lives quite nicely behind 700hp(turbo 347) on slicks launching at over 5000rpm... also lives well in a well built 347 naturally aspirated on slicks launching at 6000rpm.
Fords trac lok... i fitted mine with revised clutch stack, and added an additional clutch to each side(30bux for kit from FoMoCo). 6200rpm launches on slicks... likely over 400 of 'em, (3 seasons racing, includes 2nd gear burnouts every time) and daily drove the car... trac lok has required no serivicing, launches straight as an arrow, and will burn both radials equally on the street.

Only way an LSD(clutch style) wears out is if people let one wheel spin while the other does not... that creates slip on the clutches.

X2 I have a 97 Cobra and my LSD has performed wonderful!! Forget the spool if your XJ is a DD!!!!!!

I've used both in my race car days with good results. They both launched good on a good track, but in the Camaro the Detroit did weird things when I turned. On the strip, if traction was good they both worked, but if one tire was a little dirty the posi would slip a little. I did some auto cross stuff, so I stayed with a posi. If I did mostly straight line, I would do a locker. And of course the locker wins hands down off road.

Just my $.02

Neal

mmhh......i guess that's good to hear. i really figured there would be more "not with LSD" people. cool.

i'm running welded right now and love how it's solid and predictable. i don't have any complaints against the welded rear end. but trying to decide which option i should go with on my new rear end when i finally get all the pieces together. so far my experience offroad are open, welded, a little bit with lock-right, and the auburn ected. on the street i have 2 years with a welded rear end, 1 year with the truetrac and 1 year with the auburn ected.

so far i've been happy with the welded. the reason i only ran the truetrac for 1 year is because it litterally blew up one day. and ironically it wasn't even under hard load. just normal clean driving. and i replaced it with the auburn ected which has been about 1 year now. it doesn't sound nearly as angry as the truetrac did, but occasionally has "voiced some complaints".

oh i should probably mention it's behind a manual tranny. so when i drop it's from a dead still to full load. which would make the truetrac sound like a shotgun everytime i droped it. the auburn ected has worked really nice but after blowing up the truetrac i've been a little worried and haven't dropped it over 3,000ish rpm and only done that a couple of times in the last year.

anyways,........that's the only reason why i'm kinda thinking about this. because i would like the new axle i'm building for my XJ to handle both clean driving, stupid driving and heavy wheeling.

Back