• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle seal leak is finally causing problems....

GrimmJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
my front axle has been leaking a tiny bit from the knuckles for quite some time now, i always check it once a month and top off as needed, but now its gushing. the front diff cover got pretty got pretty warm to the touch today after half an hour on the freeway. and its starting to howl and it feels like im driving into a stong headwind so i assume the bearings are now ruined. i can get the new bearings thru my work but i dont list part numbers for the seals. i had a buddy get me a seal for the drivers side awhile back but never put it in, is the pass side the same?

basically what im getting at is i need someone to help me reseal the front axle and change the bearings and races. if you can get me part numbers i can get the parts i just need someone to help me tear into the front axle for the first time, ive never taken it apart so i dont want to take the chance of doing something wrong. im thinking new ujoints on the axle shafts, and new seals and bearings on the carrier and the pinion. i probably need new unit bearings too but i cant afford that right now.

so can one of you SoCal gear gurus help me out, or at least point me in the right direction for parts?

thanks guys!:worship:

i know this should probably be in the tech forum but i really need someone semi local to help me out with the job, this is my DD!

Last edited:
GrimmJeeper said:
my front axle has been leaking a tiny bit from the knuckles for quite some time now, i always check it once a month and top off as needed, but now its gushing. the front diff cover got pretty got pretty warm to the touch today after half an hour on the freeway. and its starting to howl and it feels like im driving into a stong headwind so i assume the bearings are now ruined. i can get the new bearings thru my work but i dont list part numbers for the seals. i had a buddy get me a seal for the drivers side awhile back but never put it in, is the pass side the same?

basically what im getting at is i need someone to help me reseal the front axle and change the bearings and races. if you can get me part numbers i can get the parts i just need someone to help me tear into the front axle for the first time, ive never taken it apart so i dont want to take the chance of doing something wrong. im thinking new ujoints on the axle shafts, and new seals and bearings on the carrier and the pinion. i probably need new unit bearings too but i cant afford that right now.

so can one of you SoCal gear gurus help me out, or at least point me in the right direction for parts?

thanks guys!:worship:

i know this should probably be in the tech forum but i really need someone semi local to help me out with the job, this is my DD!

Front axle seal replacement is really not that scary (bearings too). Here's the deal:
1. Bearings, replace them with LIKE bearings. What does that mean? Do not order or buy bearings ahead of time. Why? Not all bearings were created equal. I've found that out when I replaced my bearings and got a different brand of the same part/model number. Since this is your DD and you're talking about doing the ujoints too, I'd pull the axle shafts out, pull the ujoints out stick the stubs back into unibearings and then pull the carrier out. That allows you to drive without busting unibearings.

2. When you pull the carrier out, look at hte make model of the bearings and get same. DO NOT MIX UP THE SHIMS as you pull them off. Do one side at a time. You can get a big bearing splitter/puller from harbor freight for cheap (I got it someplace in the garage: cost me about $12 or so and I use two big bolts to have it life the bearing off).

3. Seals are easy. Punche them out with a broomstick from the outside of the axle and then press them back in from the inside.

4. To reinstall bearings, press is the best way to go but I know folks that used a mallet. If you want to use a press, gimme a holler and swing by and you can use mine.

Bring it down. bring me GOOD beer. use my tools. I'll give you the seals. I only have about a dozen sitting on the shelf.
Before this happens...
20029186215906050721257_G.jpg

Man, my schedule is tight. I got too much crap going on. But I can tear apart a front end and rebuild it in my sleep.

Specially them unit bearing 30s. Big issue is some kinda device for pulling and reseating them seals. There is a real too for it. I've not used it. Big fan of long peices of tubing and sockets and hammers that are the right size.

I'll help. Let me know when and where.

Grab timken bearings... good inner seals... I'll assume you've got sockets, hammers and tube... I'll bring my bearing puller tool (for reuse of shims)... and we'll go to it.

Rawbrown said:
Bring it down. bring me GOOD beer. use my tools. I'll give you the seals. I only have about a dozen sitting on the shelf.
Before this happens...
20029186215906050721257_G.jpg

There's always that too...

LOL.

well i guess i should do that anyway (pull the carrier and inner shafts) to avoid having the front end sieze up on me. who's got an open garage next weekend so i can at least pull it apart? :D i dunno if i'll make it all the way out to encinitas ryan, i appreciate the offer :D

just FYI guys my tools include a small crafstman socket set and a full sae and metric boxwrench set, most of my automotive work is electrical ;) and my "garage" consists of a tiny bay that barely fits my vw bug project that i have to climb on the tires to get around... otherwise im working in the alley behind my apt building :(

Last edited:
Top it up with fluid. pull the driveshaft and it should be fine. keep your speed down. GTG.

over2land said:
Man, my schedule is tight. I got too much crap going on. But I can tear apart a front end and rebuild it in my sleep.

Specially them unit bearing 30s. Big issue is some kinda device for pulling and reseating them seals. There is a real too for it. I've not used it. Big fan of long peices of tubing and sockets and hammers that are the right size.

I'll help. Let me know when and where.

Grab timken bearings... good inner seals... I'll assume you've got sockets, hammers and tube... I'll bring my bearing puller tool (for reuse of shims)... and we'll go to it.
its a 36mm implact socket that fits the D30 axle seals. I have a piece of 1" solid bar with a 1/2" drive welded to one end. It holds the socket in place. with the bar flipped over I can knock the empty seal out like a slide hammer. then I use a wire wheel on a die grinder that fits the tube. this cleans out the tube well.. then spray some carb cleaner and push a couple of rags through. then thouroghly wipe your hole... er the inside seal surface. apply a very light coat of RTV to the OD of the seal and hammer it in till its seated.

GrimmJeeper said:
well i guess i should do that anyway (pull the carrier and inner shafts) to avoid having the front end sieze up on me. who's got an open garage next weekend so i can at least pull it apart? :D i dunno if i'll make it all the way out to encinitas ryan, i appreciate the offer :D
If you can't find anyone with garage tools, I should be able to play musical chairs on Sunday and get you into my garage.

Dude we can do it at my place if someone wants to bring the big sockets......or you wanna buy one (at NAPA,haha). I have driveway/garage space. I gotta finish pulling the 5cyl. from my XJ next weekend anyway.

silverslk said:
Dude we can do it at my place if someone wants to bring the big sockets......or you wanna buy one (at NAPA,haha). I have driveway/garage space. I gotta finish pulling the 5cyl. from my XJ next weekend anyway.
I'm around the corner so if you plan for it and need tools gimme a holler and pick them up from my place :D I got a 36mm you can borrow.

GrimmJeeper said:
anybody have a part number for the seals? and are they the same on both sides?
napa 11899. same on both sides
I think the timkens are 710068.

Last edited:
jeeperjohn said:
I know you had other offers but I have this week off to help out if you're in a hurry and you want to come to Temecula.
i really appreciate the offers guys but im not really feeling comfortable driving like this for 1.5-2 hours to get down there :D thanks anyway... anyone a little more local to la county/ north OC ??

GrimmJeeper said:
i really appreciate the offers guys but im not really feeling comfortable driving like this for 1.5-2 hours to get down there :D thanks anyway... anyone a little more local to la county/ north OC ??

I am off next week after x-mas... give me a shout.. but first I need to get Kyungs D30 all done... Since he has been nice and all this year...

i'll be in vegas the 25th-28th for my 1st wedding anniversary. thanks for the offer scott. let me see if i can afford the parts this week, and i'll decide what im going to do from there.

Back