• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender trimming

hot_rod_hooligans

NAXJA Forum User
Heres what I'm working with, 3" lift and 31"s with 95% tread (so new bigger tires are out), I need to trim my wheel wells because I'm rubbing f/r both sides under full flex as is w/o stock flares.

l_fe084504261c479b071e13949f31b49f.jpg

I don't know if I want to trim all of the sheet metal from the old fender flares:

l_2186c729c95a4bf7f9ad093a6598d8-1.jpg

because then my tires would look too small for the openings, same with Bushwackers, too small of tires.

Any suggestions on how to trim and still look good/right, or a good fender flare?

the tires really wont look too small if you just trim where the flares were. im running re3.5" on 32" MTs an i trimmed and left that last lip on the fender. i think it looks good and took care of the rubbing.

edit: heres a pic. i also painted the lip to help with the rust.

CIMG0762.jpg

Last edited:
This is the perfect write up for you..
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/fender_trimming.htm

I dont think the wheels will look too small. anyways it will look better then if you left it flairless with the holes ect still there.

Sound like you have Inchitus and Bigger tire-itus already.. TRIM TRIM TRIM

dlarrivee said:
Couldn't just extend your bump stops slightly to avoid this?
But that would mean less flex.....

aroncull said:
This is the perfect write up for you..
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/fender_trimming.htm

I dont think the wheels will look too small. anyways it will look better then if you left it flairless with the holes ect still there.

Sound like you have Inchitus and Bigger tire-itus already.. TRIM TRIM TRIM
Seen that one already, he's working with almost twice the lift and at least 35"s. The flare-less holes are the other part of wanting to trim, I like the no-flare look, but not the look I have lol.

gijosiahh said:
the tires really wont look too small if you just trim where the flares were. im running re3.5" on 32" MTs an i trimmed and left that last lip on the fender. i think it looks good and took care of the rubbing.

CIMG0762.jpg
I like the idea of leaving the last lip, not too much trimming but just enough to get rid of the holes.....:thumbup:

If you dont want to trim just yet cuz your afraid the tires will look to small then you could just bumpstop more and put some electrical tape over the holes. This is what i did with mine till i cut them, but i also have a white jeep, silver electrical tape would be harder to come by but black would probably look pretty good anyway.

AlexXJart6.jpg

burnout!!! :D

gijosiahh said:

CIMG0762.jpg

ah the good old kuhmo mudder, they are available in 32's now?I think the 33 measures about 32

What backspacing are your rims?

That might be part of the problem, they look like they could be pulled in a bit

TunaSoda said:
What backspacing are your rims?

That might be part of the problem, they look like they could be pulled in a bit

That is what I am thinking. What size and BS are your wheels?

I run 31s on a 15x7 w/ 4.5" BS and have no rubbing. (Mine is a 99 w/ 3" lift.)

CJ's98XJ said:
I wuld spacer and shackle 1 more inch, then go with very minimal trimming. I just saw one with TJ flares the other day. Anybody have more info on that?

Like these? These are what I call fender awnings.

013aj0.jpg

jonnyz123 said:
haha i dont know whats goin on with that thing but i think i threw up alittle. the only thing that looks right on that thing is the jeep logo on the front.

i'm going to have to disagree...i'm kind of wishing it was some other logo rather than the jeep logo. that would make it easier to accept. haha.

Back