• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Drive Shaft Question

xylonjay

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 XJ 5 speed manual transmission, completely stock. And removed the Front driveshaft due to horrible vibration issues. I picked up a really nice used one from a 92 limited with an automatic, completely stock. The Drive Shafts look almost identical except that the new one is about 1" longer from the base of the double cardan joint to the point where the hydraulic shaft begins. Also how does one adjust the length? My old one travels freely, while the replacement is unmovable.

Im sorry, my question was.... being that the new front driveshaft is just a hair longer than the one I pulled out going to be a problem when i do the installation?

yes, it will be problem...

although, now you have a perfect DS to put in the rear when you lift your rig and do an SYE :)

The replacement can't be legthened? Maybe the slip yoke is seized or something from sitting too long. Squirt some grease in it.

I don't think an inch longer will matter?

No, the replacement is a hair over 1" longer than the original when fully compressed and sitting side by side. Im just wondering if it would be okay to install it even though it is one inch longer than the one I removed.

Does anybody know if the driveshaft is fully compressed when the jeep is fully tucked on the driver's front?

I'm going to say NO.....but I'm not totally sure either!

That'll depend on if an inch longer is too much or not.

It will work on a lifted rig but not on a stock one.

My heep is a 95, manual tranny and lifted 5.5 in. The stock drive shaft had bad vibrations caused by a worn out slip splines. I bought a used shaft out of an automatic that was about an inch longer and it worked out just fine. In fact, my rig needed that extra inch or so of travel. Look at the ware mark on your stock shaft slip splines. Lay the new shaft next to it and compare the spline area and see if it will work. Just make sure that when your supension is at full stuff the drive shaft doesn't bottom out.

Thanks for the info, I think I am just gonna buy a reman :( and sell the one I just picked up last night. Anyone looking for a stock Front Drive Shaft let me know, willing to trade or sell BO.

Back