• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! New vibration :(

GauchoMD

NAXJA Forum User
What do you all think? I've been driving my 96 XJ for around 3 years now with a 4.5" lift and 32's with no vibrations (it has a 8.25 axle BTW). Anyway, a couple weeks ago I had to brake hard on the freeway and ever since then I have noticed a new vibration, at first only at freeway speeds but today I noticed it at any speed. I dont think it is the wheel/tire balance because the vibration goes away when I lay off the gas while on the freeway (actually anywhere, even though my speed doesnt go down much). I dont have a SYE, but again I never had the problem before, so could that be it? Any suggestions?

Same here 4.5 32" no vibes for years then one day it started and i just kept drivin for months then after awhile a skreech started i took off my front driveline and it stopped no vibes nothing so tomorrow im replacing my u joint that a just replaced like 4 months earlier.... try taking your front drive off.:anon:

Dont know its not tomorrow yet???????? i work 12s on graves so i havent had time yet. But im 90% sure thats it(on mine).I also dont have the sye kit just dont need it yet. It proved that when i took the front off and it drove fine around 75 with no vibrations. See if theres any movement in the ujoint itself.:patriot:

Is the vibration at all speeds? do you feel it thru the steering wheel, or thru the body/floorboards? any clunking sounds? does the vibration go away when you hit the brakes, or get worse?

Does it JUST happen when you're on the gas?

Its pretty much at all speeds, but gets worse the faster I go (more noticeable on the highway). It feels like the whole Jeep is vibrating, not vigorously, just annoying...and new. It goes away regardelss of my speed if I lay off the gas so I dont think it is a balance problem with the wheels/tires. What do you think?

tjmwr7 said:
Same here 4.5 32" no vibes for years then one day it started and i just kept drivin for months then after awhile a skreech started i took off my front driveline and it stopped no vibes nothing so tomorrow im replacing my u joint that a just replaced like 4 months earlier.... try taking your front drive off.:anon:

Did you replace the U-joint yet, if so how did it turn out? I ordered one today but I probably wont get it until next week because of the Thanksgiving Holiday...

I have an 88 with a RE 3.5 / no SYE and the same thing is happening to me. I knew my motor mounts were shot so I replaced them and I still have the vibe, not as bad but it's still there. I have to change the oil in the old lady's xploder and after the front drive shaft is going bye bye.

Why would the front drive shaft be the problem if it's not in 4WD?

Because its still spinning wether you're in 4wd or not.

^^ because even when your not in 4x4 the front shaft is still spinning, its just not under load. Mine is the same damned annoying problem..RE 3.5SF and annoying vibes...months later. the angle on my front DS is off and causing it to vibrate. If rubicon wasnt so damn far away, I'd have my new UCA's and be done with it!

jakec said:
Because its still spinning wether you're in 4wd or not.
not always, in an 88 with a 231 it would have a disconnect axle, so the driveline wouldn't be spinning.

Check your rear u-joints, then check the angles at which they oeprate.
Tom Woods site has a good illustration of what the pinion angles should look like.

Trip, my 88 has a 242.
I got the shaft off and took it for a spin....no more vibes.
The only thing I heard was a bit of unibody hum one I stepped on it. LOL
It's at the shop getting new u joints pressed in.

Back