• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget 4.10's

J-Roc

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA, lifted my 96' 3.5" slapped 31's under her (True 31's mounted)
And as you can guess, driving it fn' sucks not to mention the fuel consumption has gone through the roof.

Now I want to gear my diffs... my plan is to find a complete front axle from a 4 cyl. YJ, unbolt the carrier and swap the whole thing into my XJ D30. Now I cannot gear a differential, but removing the "3rd member" as a single unit... can I literally just toss it in and torque the pinion down to spec?

For the rear I am going to use a Ford 8.8 that I am getting on the cheap... if I want to do a budget rebuild on it (axle and pinion seal) can I do those without much issue? Again if I want to do the pinion seal, can I just back it off, replace the seal and torque the pinion back down? I haven't found much "tech" on rebuilding an 8.8 just the process involved in stuffing one under an XJ.

Are you in CA or Canada? The carrier would have to be re-setup if you swap it from one diff to the next. Also, I think there is a difference between high pinion and low pinion carriers. You can remove the yoke on an 8.8 and replace the seal and put the yoke back on but you need to be sure you don't exceed the max torque before you get the right preload. If you do exceed the max torque before you get the right preload, you need to replace the crush sleeve. If you are in Ontario CA, I can setup your gears for you. PM me if you're in CA and want this done.

I know thats the easier way... but I have seen 1 4 banger in my life time and someone already snagged the axle, the rest are 6cyl. I have seen a shit load of 2wd 4 banger MJ's but that doesn't help the situation :tears:

Well, to answer the question.

You cannot just grab the carrier and go. A dana 30 has no third member unit.

You're not going to be able to just swap the carrier. Anyway you slice it, the easiest thing to do is just re-gear what you got.

Of course you would pull the pinion as well right? Take the pinion and carrier with ring gear to a shop and they will charge you $200-300 to setup the gears.

If your 8.8 is already 4.10 equipped, then just weld the perches and the tubes to the housing and then you're pretty much setup (brakes, Ecables, and shocks will need to be added).

yea I'd be pulling the pinion as well, but I might as well buy brand new gears from PORC for $100 and not waste the money on used crap then...that is if I go the shop route,
I found a 4x4 front MJ axle for $200 with 4.10's so that is a possibility.

th yj is low pinion (standard rotation) and the xj is high pinion (reverse rotation), unless its newer than 2000. This will not work, the gears are cut differently. save up the dough and get yourlself a new ring and pinion and pay to have someone set it up

just finished this swap exactly, go for the complete axle

YJ's are not low pinion... I have had 3 YJ owners comfirm this...

d30yj.jpg

Last edited:
whompinxj said:
th yj is low pinion (standard rotation) and the xj is high pinion (reverse rotation), unless its newer than 2000. This will not work, the gears are cut differently. save up the dough and get yourlself a new ring and pinion and pay to have someone set it up

YJ's are high pinion, with a vacume disconnect and 297 joints.

When I went to 4.10's I got a Chrysler 8.25 rear out of a 97+ 4-cylinder XJ for $185 (& then sold my old '93 8.25 with 3.07's for $100), but couldn't find a D30 with 4.10's for less than $500 in AZ. So I just bought gears and had them setup for the same price. As has already been said, you can't just swap them from one diff to another on a D30 without setting up the gears again.

I'm not trying to split hairs here... gettting conflicting information, a few guys say it's ok on pirate, but I figured I'd get better opinions here seeing how we are strictly cherokee based.

If it comes down to setting up the diff, I'll be giving PORC a shout

Just swap the whole axle. It's faster, cheaper, and much more idiot-proof than trying to swap over used gears or regear with new. Last time I swapped mine, it took maybe 1-1/2 hours. Counting up in my head it's actually fewer bolts to swap the entire axle than pull the axle shafts, diff cover, pinion, etc.

- 4 control arm bolts
- 1 bolt for track bar
- 2 small spring retainer bolts
- 2 bolts for the sway bar
- 4 bolts for the driveshaft
- 4 bolts to remove the brake calipers
- 2 bolts for the steering
- 1 bolt for the damper
- disco vacumn lines

J-Roc said:
yea I'd be pulling the pinion as well, but I might as well buy brand new gears from PORC for $100 and not waste the money on used crap then...that is if I go the shop route,
I found a 4x4 front MJ axle for $200 with 4.10's so that is a possibility.

I'd be tempted to grab the MJ axle as it is a bolt in.

If you decide to regear what you have, consider this: You will also need to swap the carrier if your current ratio is 3.55 or smaller as the D30 uses 2 different carriers, 3.55 and below, 3.73 and higher.

Ron

lawsoncl said:
Just swap the whole axle. It's faster, cheaper, and much more idiot-proof than trying to swap over used gears or regear with new. Last time I swapped mine, it took maybe 1-1/2 hours. Counting up in my head it's actually fewer bolts to swap the entire axle than pull the axle shafts, diff cover, pinion, etc.

- 4 control arm bolts
- 1 bolt for track bar
- 2 small spring retainer bolts
- 2 bolts for the sway bar
- 4 bolts for the driveshaft
- 4 bolts to remove the brake calipers
- 2 bolts for the steering
- 1 bolt for the damper
- disco vacumn lines

having done this, i agree, its the easiest for the rear. I'd rather pay someone to regar than swap the front axle ever again.

Back