• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swing Down Tire Carrier

harwood39

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, here is the tire carier i have been working on for quite a while now. Its a fold down style, i use it as a step to get to the roof. I should have pulled it in towards the window more but that means i can just store something behind there. Im adding gas can holders to both sides between the tails and license plate. I know, i just have the doughnut spare on there til my new wheels and tires come in.

100_1229.jpg

100_1241.jpg

100_1240.jpg

100_1239.jpg

I will post some of it down later tonight.

it rattles a little because i havent had time to go out and get hitch pins that fit snug, so i just put bolts in loosely so i can remove them quickly for hatch access. If i tighten the bolts it gets rid of the rattle.

The PVC pipe is actually a water tight fishing rod holder that i figure i can use for something. I might use it as a welding rod holder and or misc little stuff. At work we normally ue them for holding user manuals for ag equipement.

The more i can hold outside the better as this is a search and rescue vehicle as i am in a local volunteer emergency vehicle assistance group. So if i can have trunk space by putting small parts or my welding rods in the holder the better off i am.

So far i have only paid for the welding wire for my welder. Other than that it was made out of misc free parts from my partime job that they just wanted to throw in the dumpster. I may be able to even get the hitch pins for free, but i might just have to run to a hardware store to find them.

Do you have to do it three times?:laugh: just kidding . where are the pins located? i still dont see them. but nice build

I think it would be cool if someone designed a swing up carrier integrated into a nice roof rack...

hmmm... that makes sense, but why? it just seems like way too much work. I understand the step thing but if you were gonna fab your own bumper then you could just make it stick out farther like a step.

What size tyre are you going to run on there, just wondering how far above the roof it is going to be, looks like a 35" would stick up a long way and would apply a lot of leverage making it pretty heavy to lift up and down and hold there while you pin it. And wont those support arms just wing down into the hatch when you unpin them if you dont hold them and lower them down carefully? Maybe these are things you've already addressed? It does look cool though :)

Cheers
Steve

Well i have addressed almost every issue you stated in the design of it.

First, the arms are snug in the flanges on the carrier, and the bolt is pinching them together so they do not move unless i force them.

Second, i will be running 32s. I designed it so that if i ever run 35's they will clear the license plate and i will not have to relocate it. The hinges are not loose, they have washers to keep them snug side o side, and are fairly tight on the bolts. It holds itself up without putting the pins in on level ground and not driving(obviously). So when i put it up, i dont have to worry about it falling too much.

It goes to the groung when the 32 is on, but not with the doughnut. It phisically will not got that far down due to the brackets on the bumper and the way the tub is bent. It is designed to stop as a fairl level platform. I am putting expanded steel mesh on the backside only where the tire mount is, not all the way to the bumper(basically just the top half) to use as a sort of work/welding table if i need to.

I know not many peole like it but it works the exact way i want it too.

I think it'll be pretty cool with 5 real tires on it! I still like the swing UP idea better, but it would take some serious reinforcment and make things too heavy!

Back