• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turning brakes

imfrankyj

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever thought about installing turning brakes in a XJ instead of a locker? I used to have 2 sandrails and they both had turning brakes. if one tire started to slip you could apply brake pressure to that tire with a hand lever. also tractor have this to in the form of a split pedal. this could also be handy in turning. I am wanting to get better traction but cant go with a auto locker and cant afford a ARB. I live in an area where I use my 4wd in snow and cant afford to loose maneuverability that an auto locker brings. Has anyone heard of doing this? or done this? The kit for turning brakes is around $100 which is much cheaper than an ARB.

get a no slip. and are you talking about cutting brakes?

I am sure they are legal, Cal is another country it doent count, they in every Baja and yes they are also called cutting brakes.

Yeah, I've wanted them on my jeep for a while. The backhoe and tractor I use at work both have turning brakes and they're awesome.

I ended up deciding that there wasn't really a way to make them perform like they do on the heavy machinery I'm used to, nor enough call for it to take the risks with heavily modding the brakes on my DD.

I was also wondering how I could make a treaded XJ, the bolt pattern for the track guides on our snow cats is metric but awfully close to 5x4.5" I'd just need to figure out how to mount drive cogs to the rear hubs and then how it would be steered (so easy to say).

I have pondered this for a while....

Take the parking brake and rather than have one handle for both brakes have a handle for each side.

Leave it rachet just like it currently does so you can set them both and have a near standard e-brake for parking and such.... but also have the control to bias one tire like limited slip diff using the ebrake.

For turning... I am not sure how the xj will corner... It is pretty heavy up front so I am not sure it will work real well for cutting a turn.

All of the samples that I have looked at tonight are hydraulic not cable but with a spare ebake handle it should not be too hard to fab.

you know you aren't the only person who drives in the snow....and there are ALOT more people than you think of that run lunchbox lockers or full carrier lockers in the snow without problems. i've installed several lockers in jeeps here in wisconsin that are daily drivers all year round. once you learn it's characteristics, you'll drive it like it wasn't there. obviously you'll have to adjust your driving habits, but like i said. once you get used to it, nobody will know you have an auto-locker in the rear cuz your vehicle will move just like every other vehicle just with more traction.

JAS said:
I have pondered this for a while....

Take the parking brake and rather than have one handle for both brakes have a handle for each side.

Leave it rachet just like it currently does so you can set them both and have a near standard e-brake for parking and such.... but also have the control to bias one tire like limited slip diff using the ebrake.
cable but with a spare ebake handle it should not be too hard to fab.

ive been thinking the same thing lately

scottmcneal said:
THEY ARE NOT LEGAL

Bullshit, they're DOT approved.

I run them on my XJ:

DSC01782.JPG

although in a slightly different application that yours. I have a Detroit in the rear, and when I disengage the rear axle (twin stick t-case) I use them to lock the inner wheel for a front dig / pivot point. I love having them as another tool to get through stuff.

I don't know what you'd do with them on a daily-driven rig though.

Come here i'll get you a ticket for them...They bitch if you install inline turning brakes.. you can use the cable set up that they use on VWs..

scottmcneal said:
Come here i'll get you a ticket for them...They bitch if you install inline turning brakes.. you can use the cable set up that they use on VWs..

Once again we are talking about US laws not your country.

Yeah they still make the cable kind for Bajas. my understanding with auto lockers and snow is that you dont want both tires to spin or you will endup in the ditch. therefore traction in snow is worse. is this wrong? Also I have heard that lunchbox lockers put too much stress on the stock carier. I have 31" tires is this true?

How would cops know that you had cutting brakes installed?

Wouldnt most just ticket you for the obvious stuff such as insufficient flare coverage, window stickers, etc instead of crawling around under your Jeep?

If used a lot, wouldnt there be a fair amount of brake wear?

Back