• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

who makes SOLID???

mecompco said:
What sort of problems (if you don't mind sharing)? After my last fiasco concerning another brand heavy duty 8.8 diff cover, I am contemplating the acquisition of a SOLID cover.

I've got a RockCrusher on the D30 front and a SOLID on the 8.8 in the rear. I can tell you on both of them that running stock hex bolts will require thin wall sockets OR doing the final tightening with an end wrench. There is not enough clearance between the bolt head and the diff cover to fit a standard socket.

Consider buying the cover (a very stout piece and well made) and adding your own hex key style bolts. These will be easier to get torqued to the right spec and won't scratch the nice paint you will have just put on the cover.

No problems with my 8.8 cover.
I used snap-on sockets if that makes a difference.....

100_1830.jpg

i can't it to stop leaking from the fill plug no matter what i do. i called the people at solid, and said that i probably overfilled it. i was like.....ok so then when the excess ran out it should have stopped leaking. but as my carrier kept splashing gear lube around it just kept leaking out. i was nearly empty the first time i checked it.

i've tried putting the fill plug in dry. clean with rtv, clean with miles of teflon tape. nothing seems to work.

to make matters worse, SOLID says that they couldn't really warranty it because i didn't send in the warranty card. so now i gotta try to get a sales invoice from the place i bought it from, so they can match it with all my info and verify that it's me.

Are you sure its not owned by Rusty's?

Wow, thats some shitty customer service. I was just thinking to myself "that doesnt look like a bad cover..". I guess I'll buy crane again.

Since it appears to be nothing more than a pipe thread cap, have you tried getting a replacement at the hardware store?

If teflon tape and other "fillers" aren't doing it, it seems like you have the wrong taper or thread size.....maybe close but wrong.

Mine worked perfectly.....

cal said:
Are you sure its not owned by Rusty's?

Wow, thats some shitty customer service. I was just thinking to myself "that doesnt look like a bad cover..". I guess I'll buy crane again.

That's a little quick to judge in my opinion.

A warranty registration is required for lots of items you might have a problem with. Why should a diff cover be different?

I will reserve judgment until he gets his ducks in a row and they have a chance to look at his cover.

John90XJ said:
That's a little quick to judge in my opinion.

A warranty registration is required for lots of items you might have a problem with. Why should a diff cover be different?

I will reserve judgment until he gets his ducks in a row and they have a chance to look at his cover.

I have never had to use a warranty registration card, with axles, lockers, etc. Its not like there are other vendors out there making Solid diff covers, solid can be sure its their product and should step up.

Given the choice of a vendor who is going to make you jump through hoops to warantee and one who is not, what judgement is there to withold?

cal said:
I have never had to use a warranty registration card, with axles, lockers, etc. Its not like there are other vendors out there making Solid diff covers, solid can be sure its their product and should step up.

Given the choice of a vendor who is going to make you jump through hoops to warantee and one who is not, what judgement is there to withold?

I guess I don't see filling out one postcard with my name on it as being a hoop to go through.

I think you jumped to a conclusion based on very little information and I would think there are two sides to every story. In my mind, the jury is still out on this. You may disagree.

John90XJ said:
I guess I don't see filling out one postcard with my name on it as being a hoop to go through.

I think you jumped to a conclusion based on very little information and I would think there are two sides to every story. In my mind, the jury is still out on this. You may disagree.

I totally disagree, while I respect your view I do not hold it; its not like he's dealing with an ipod or television with complex and fragile workings - this is a chunk of steel with the manufacturers name on it, that does not do a very simple thing - hold fluid. As thats the most basic function it has, the manufacturer should be stepping up with 'Doh, get it in mail..', or 'here, let us send you a call tag.'.

Maybe I'm expecting too much out of an american manufacturer - but its the quality of service that I find from other vendors.

I agree with you to the extent that it is a simple product and it should be covered if there is a manufacturer's defect. However, they do require proof of purchase. That shouldn't be hard to provide and it simply confirms that they are required to make whole the person that they originally made the lifetime commitment to.

So my question is should they be responsible for replacing or repairing something that has stripped threads in the fill hole AND there is no evidence that the present owner bought it new from them or their dealer?

How far should a warranty go on an offroad product where there is thriving secondary market for product?

Sorry about the hijack.....:angel:

holly crap what have i started. LOL

ok, warranty card??? a little goofy if you ask me. i've never had to do that with anything else that i've dealt with. big problem??? not really. annoying??? sure

they called me back and asked me where i filled it to. i said i filled it just under the fill plug. their tech said that they do not relocate their fill plug for added capacity and that i should run the normal axle capacity requirement. he said that it might have been overpressurizing and causing it to leak because of that.

now i don't know if that makes sense, cuz if anything i would think it would force itself out of the vent tube, or blow out an axle seal before it pushes past a tight plug. so i agreed to remove the cover and drain the diff so we have a clean starting base. at which time i would fill it ONLY WITH THE MANUFACTURER CAPACITY REQUIREMENT. then if it still leaks, they'll look into finding a solution/replacement.

CAL...........i wouldn't go as far as calling it shitty customer service yet. so far they haven't done anything wrong, but at the same time they haven't been total kiss ass and just handed me a new cover. i can respect that. maybe it was something i did. i'll give that "theory" a try. but yes.......as some have mentioned, there isn't really much to screw up. it really is as simple as putting the plug in.

to make matters worse, my wife just ripped her front control arm mount off the axle, so until i get that fixed i won't be able to take it for another test drive. i'll report back as soon as i get the axle fixed. hopefully by next week. the new mounts should be in tomorrow.

who did you buy the cover through? some of the big companies will do in-house warranty replacements or handle the warranty claim with the manufacturer for you. it's worth a shot to call who you bought it through.

John90XJ said:
So my question is should they be responsible for replacing or repairing something that has stripped threads in the fill hole AND there is no evidence that the present owner bought it new from them or their dealer?

No, they should not replace a stripped out cover, unless the material was inferior. As far as not having proof of purchase, I don't see that as being something that should matter. They made the product for the consumer to use. A consumer is still using it, who cares who originally purchased it. The lifetime warranty should cover the lifetime of the product, period.

91 Jeep Project said:
No, they should not replace a stripped out cover, unless the material was inferior. As far as not having proof of purchase, I don't see that as being something that should matter. They made the product for the consumer to use. A consumer is still using it, who cares who originally purchased it. The lifetime warranty should cover the lifetime of the product, period.

I agree with you as long as that is the warranty they offer. If it's for the lifetime the ORIGINAL owner owns it, which most things are, all bets are off.

91 Jeep Project said:

i agree that a stripped out cover or otherwise damaged product due to customers mistakes shouldn't be covered.

problem is my wife has only had this cover on her jeep for 2months, and it's pretty much been leaking since the beginning. obviously a VERY VERY VERY minor leak would be stoppable with either RTV or teflon tape. but it's managed to leak past both of those. and not just a "almost un-noticable sepage", but like 2quarts in 1 months.

anyways, like i said. right now, just to show them that i'm not just asking for a handout, i'm going to try what they asked me to try. which is to drain the diff and fill it with the proper amount since it seems i overfilled it. and if it doesn't work, then we'll see how it goes from there. so far they haven't given me reason to believe that they won't take care of it.

and yeah. i don't see how a "bulletproof" diff cover wouldn't be warrantied no matter of who owns it. it's 1 piece of steel and has their name stamped across 3/4 of the cover. it's not like you can really install it wrong or break it other than hitting a rock at 50. but she only has once little scratch so far and it's on the bottom of the diff housing. about 4-6" away from the plug.

The reason they do the warrenty card, is from when they were "Rockcrusher" and there was another company selling covers that were exactly the same design (long story).

Without the warrenty cards, people would try to get the real Rockcrusher (now Solid) to replace the other company's covers.

Back