• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire size for 8.25 axle

supsa

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 XJ lifted 5.5 and I have a 8.25 axle. What tire size should I run? It's a 5 speed and I put in 3.55 gearing insted of the 3.07. I would like to run 33's but don't know how strong the 8.25 is. I'm hard on my jeep.

No but I wheel like I do. And I'm not always the last or winching. I run 31's now but want more clearance. What should I pay for 27 spline?

im running 33's with the 27 spline "hard" for about 6-7 months. My older brother is running 35's on the 27 spline also for over two years and he hasnt broke a shaft yet. We're both open in the back and locked in the front with 3.55 gears

Thanks for the info. I got a parts rig with the 8.25 and was thinking of selling it because my D35 has been good to me. Also Aussie locker in the front of this rig so i'll be locked soon

Also all you Wa guys should head to Evan's this weekend. We will be there from Thursday to Monday. 4 XJ's, a ZJ, and a YJ. Should be fun in the sun

If you are going to do anything, lose the 27 spline shafts and get 29 spline shafts. People have different interpretations of what "wheeling hard" is. I have broken two stock 29 spline shafts with 33's, and believe me that the Chryco 8.25 is not an axle you want to have to tear apart on the trail.

It all depends on what type of terrain (deep rock, lots of binding ect...), tire brand/size, locker, and how much you flog on it.

If you must keep the 8.25 and run 33's then seriously consider chromo shafts and a gear job becasue 33's and 3.55:1 gearing blows. I kept my 8.25 despite the failures, built it up, and run 35's. I havent broken a shaft since going to chromolly shafts, but I do rotate the spares in and out to prevent wear and stress over time.

Edit: I forgot that I did twist the splines on this 29 spline chromo shaft with 33's:
picturesforandre.jpg

Last edited:
Ben H said:
If you are going to do anything, lose the 27 spline shafts and get 29 spline shafts. People have different interpretations of what "wheeling hard" is. I have broken two stock 29 spline shafts with 33's, and believe me that the Chryco 8.25 is not an axle you want to have to tear apart on the trail.

It all depends on what type of terrain (deep rock, lots of binding ect...), tire brand/size, locker, and how much you flog on it.

If you must keep the 8.25 and run 33's then seriously consider chromo shafts and a gear job becasue 33's and 3.55:1 gearing blows. I kept my 8.25 despite the failures, built it up, and run 35's. I havent broken a shaft since going to chromolly shafts, but I do rotate the spares in and out to prevent wear and stress over time.

Edit: I forgot that I did twist the splines on this 29 spline chromo shaft with 33's:
picturesforandre.jpg
What are you running for a motor? I've never seen a chromo shaft twist like that.

I would suggest you get a 29 spline locker (lockright or similar) and 29 spline chromo shafts. Unless you are just totally brutal to your rig, you shouldn't have any problems running 33's with this setup. If you run 33's you will want to lengthen your bumpstops and trim your fenders.

after installing chromos or the 1430 hardened steel shafts, I've been wheeling with 32s...now upgrading to 33s and still will be perfectly fine. I wouldnt blink at running 35s on the 29 spl 8.25 with chromos.

Ben, was your tire bounded up when you bent those splines? Or do you know?

I wish 33 spl carriers and shafts existed for the 8.25

djblade311 said:
after installing chromos or the 1430 hardened steel shafts, I've been wheeling with 32s...now upgrading to 33s and still will be perfectly fine. I wouldnt blink at running 35s on the 29 spl 8.25 with chromos.

Ben, was your tire bounded up when you bent those splines? Or do you know?

I wish 33 spl carriers and shafts existed for the 8.25
Totally bound up, but that happens, and should be expected to happen especially on the passenger rear.

33 splines, and a c clip eliminator kit would be nice

there is a writeup in the 4wd magazine that says a stock 8.25 axle can take 33's and a modified beefier axle can take 35's for the maximum

I've run 33s locked and 35s open on a 29 spliner no issues. Guy in my club has a 27 spliner with a lock-rite and 35s and no issues, unlike his d30, lol.

If you're breaking 29 spline shafts, then I bet you have tons of repair time in the d30.

ZachMan said:
If you're breaking 29 spline shafts, then I bet you have tons of repair time in the d30.

SO TRUE!!!

I run 35s 8.25 27 spline open and have no problems. I run pretty hard 2. I do have a habbit though of breaking the d30 shafts up front... even went through one aussie locker:(

Back