• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C pulley Noise

Ivan

I Jeep, therefore, I am..
I recently developed a noise in my '98 that I first though might be the harmonic balancer scraping on the timing change cover.

I tracked the noise down to what I think is the A/C pulley. It only makes a "scraping" noise at the start, and quiets down after about 10 seconds.

I noticed that with the A/C shut off, the A/C pulley appears to "wobble" while the engine is running. With the A/C on and the A/C clutch engaged, the the pulley "wobble" goes away and the pulley appears to track straight.

Before I did deeper into this, is there any adjustment that can be made to "tighten" down the A/C pulley to keep it from wobbling?

Thanks,

Ivan

Mine makes a god awful noise when the air is on, no noise with it off, and no wobbling. From what I have found in searching these compressors cannot have the clutch replaced, so the whole compressor needs to be replaced. I am still irritated from my $700 bill to have the evaporator replaced, not looking forward to a compressor as well.

Eric

Back