• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Compressor/clutch diagnoses

318SixPack

NAXJA Forum User
For ages now, if the A/C clutch engages it squeals, drags the engine down pretty bad, and even seems to smoke the belt.

Is there a way to check if the problem is the compressor vs. the clutch?

I have a new Four Seasons clutch and am still within the return window. Seeing if there is a way to diagnose this without swapping the clutch, and still having the same problem.

Will putting a wrench on the nut (nut at the end, not bolt head) and turning work to diagnose? If center hub turns the compressor is fine, if it's shot the shaft won't turn?

Thanks

No way the clutch will cause the belt to smoke. That is caused by excessive load. This is most commonly caused by a faulty compressor, or overfilling the system.

No way the clutch will cause the belt to smoke. That is caused by excessive load. This is most commonly caused by a faulty compressor, or overfilling the system.

Thank you.

Certainly not overfilled, as the system hasn't been opened since I bought it new in 1996. So I'll guess it's bad and start saving up for more parts.

There is a nut inside the middle of the clutch plate , put a socket on a ratchet and turn the clutch plate it should turn easy if it turns hard then the compressor is locking up and it will need to be changed .

Back