• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Solved a New Problem I Had Not Seen Before

CJR

NAXJA Forum User
My 2000XJ started running funny; down a little on power, and a new engine noise. My scanner indicated an ignition problem with #1 cylinder. I pulled the valve cover and looked at the valve train and #1 inlet rockerarm was very loose. My initial assessment was either the lifter collapsed, or the pushrod broke/bent, or the rockerarm was bad,or the cam lobe went. So I loosened the rockerarm to remove it and then remove the pushrod. When I pulled the rockerarm up, the pushrod came up with the rockerarm? What's this? On closer inspection, the pushrod had worn a hole in the rockerarm and penetrated up about 1/4" above the rockerarm and the pushrod was now a permanent part of the rockerarm!

Either a clogged pushrod shut off oil to the rockerarm or the rockerarm was not heat-treated correctly. I checked for clogging in the pushrod, with a wire, and there was no clogging. So I replaced the rockerarm and pushrod, with spares I had, and all is well. The power returned and the engine runs very smooth! I love these simple fixes! I've never seen this happen before.

Best regards,

CJR

Back