• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Simple questions about XJ rear D44

xj_convert

NAXJA Forum User
Hello-

My 91 Laredo with 250K on it needs complete rear brake set up including both drums. It looks like it's time to install my stock XJ D44 I got out of an 88 model since I'm not putting any more money into the D35.

...besides my D44 has the stock posi in it which is perfect for my uses (bad NorthEast weather, and light wheeling, tires no larger than 32s). I realize I'll have to freshen the posi- all I want is to stop the peg leg from spinning out on wet steep hills from a stop, and I get the benefit of the larger D44 brakes.

My questions are:

I assume everything lines up/bolts up, but does it really?
Meaning are the differences in the way the rear sway components bolt on between the years the same, ebrake cable, etc.

I assume I'll need wider U bolts for the D44? If so I assume I'll need plates spaced for the wider u bolts, or can you hog out the plates a little from the D35?

I've done plenty of rears on FUll Size Jeeps, but never touched an XJ- I just want to be prepared so I can do this in a day instead of having to order something after I start.

Thanks

xj_convert

The U-bolts are the same and the spring plates should have the holes elongated already,If not junkyard plates from one with the 8.25 axle will work.With the age on your bolts they should be replaced.
The driveshaft may be a little long,because the 44 has a longer pinion .Find a shaft from a early XJ with the same style TC output that has a 8.25 axle and that should work.
Wayne

The U-Bolts are not the same (the D44 has a bigger axle tube. . . ) and (from experience) they won't fit. Get some new ones from a drivetrain shop. The spring plates will work fine due to the elongated holes.

IF you've got stock suspension, the D35 driveshaft will PROBABLY be too long. The D44 shaft is a little shorter to make up for the pinion. I've got 3" lift, and the slightly longer D35 shaft worked fine for me.

Everything else bolts right on. The vent tube hooked up a little different.

icu_runnin said:
Wrong. Try it sometime. I have had 3 xj D44's so i might have tried it once or twice.

I agree. I recently did this swap and had to buy new ubolts. Yes, the spring plates are compatible tho.

get new u-bolts, other than that it's a direct bolt in, everything lines up.

been there, done that.

The U bolt plates are the same but...

I x1000 the new u-bolts & nuts + get new u-joints at both ends of the driveshaft, new straps/bolts for the pinion yoke, and insure you are not bottoming out the slip-yoke into the transfer case at full stuff.

icu_runnin said:
Wrong. Try it sometime. I have had 3 xj D44's so i might have tried it once or twice.

Thanks Fred, I've got 2 (1 from you) - So, I've actually tried it too. . . D35 axle tubes are about an 1/8th inch narrower (at the spring plates) than a D44. Guess what? - The old D35 U-Bolts were about 1/8th inch too narrow for a D44. I tried to fit them one Sunday afternoon on a trail rig (with every intention of buying new ones on Monday) - They look "close enough" but, I had to start forcing them with a hammer, at which point the ends began to splay out, and it became clear they would NOT fit all the way on. Quite possibly, someone has sourced NEW D35 U-bolts that were sloppy enough to fit on a D44 but, I can't believe old ones will. . .Here's the specs from 4x4wire.com: An XJ Dana 35 axle tube measures 2.64" in diameter, the XJ Dana 44 axle tubes measure 2.76" in diameter. Do the math.

x INFINITY = "new u-bolts & nuts" (replace the 15yr old ones) but, DO NOT assume D35 U-Bolts will fit on a D44 and DO NOT bring the old D35 U-bolts into a drivetrain shop as a model of what you need to fit a D44.

P.S. Don't forget the issue with driveshaft length.

my bad, i was getting ready to do the swap the other day (til it started storming) and i was told by RE that the u-bolts were the same. perhaps my RE u bolts might work, but stock ones will not. sorry.

-Tim

I just did 2 d44 swaps... Napa part # 650-2004 (or 2003, i forgot) 1/2"X2.88"X7"... they fit perfectly.

Back