• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with Illinois emmisions

JeepSpeed

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, First off, if this is in the wrong place or anything, sorry. But, is anyone familiar with the emmisions testing procedure for moddified vehicles in Illinois? I have a Hi-flow cat and rusty's catback on the way, but will this get me in trouble? I passed emmisions with flying colors like 1.5 yrs ago, but then my cat tore itself up. Also, that was before my bored TB and K&N. I know that technically, with the new cat and a new O2 sensor that i will probably actually be polluting less than stock, but i am wondering if visual inspections count for anything. Cuz ain't nothin stock looking once they open the hood. Will I get screwed just for having a louder exhaust? i know it's a niche question, sorry for wastiong ayone's time, but any help or shared expieriences will be mucho apreciado. I just made that word up, but you get it.

No visual in IL. After 96 it is just a plug in and check the OBD2, before 96 it is a treadmill and sniffer. As long as you come in below the limit you pass. By the sounds of what you have you should pass just fine, if it does not, something is really wrong. Mine failed the first test last year, changd the O2, and it passed.

Rev

If you tell them you have an AWD transfer case, you dont get the dyno run.....they will only do the sniffer....far easier to pass!

Regards
Chewy

Coo, coo... My intake is really customized, like the vacuum tube coming out out the valve cover and all that, I forgot what it's called, are all custom. But oh well, when I get the letter that just means I'll throw the old box back in. Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Hmm, find a address to register it outside of the six county insanity area. We don't have to do emmissions here.

I run a flowmaster series 40 with a Rusty's catback, K & N filter with air tube and I passed emissions earlier this year here in Chicago... It was actually kinda funny because I took the test without a cat converter for the mere fun of it...a definate no-go. Pooped a high-flow cat (radon) and it flew right through the test.
you got 3 chaces to pass I think...so go ahead and give it a shot.

JeepSpeed said:
Coo, coo... My intake is really customized, like the vacuum tube coming out out the valve cover and all that, I forgot what it's called, are all custom. But oh well, when I get the letter that just means I'll throw the old box back in. Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Go as is...there is no visual inspection.

Rev

Back