• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OK guys need help bad noise

disconnect the rear driveshaft and put it in drive and see if the noise is still there. BUT DO NOT PUT IT IN PARK. without the rear driveshaft, you won't be able to stop it and it WILL SOUND HORRIBLE when you put it in park. to stop it, put it in neutral, and shut it off. then wait a few seconds before putting it in park. and you can turn the rear tires by hand. if the noise is gone with the rear driveshaft out, then you know what the noise is.

BIgDaddyChia said:
silly question. How do I remove the driveshaft. My last vehicle's driveshaft bolted in on both ends.

You just installed a lift, but you can't figure how to drop the driveshaft???..........remove 4 small bolts at the rear of the driveshaft at the axle, and pull the driveshaft towards the rear until it comes off of the transfercase.

scorpio_vette said:
You just installed a lift, but you can't figure how to drop the driveshaft???..........remove 4 small bolts at the rear of the driveshaft at the axle, and pull the driveshaft towards the rear until it comes off of the transfercase.

Never noticed the bolts before. I looked when some one else told me about them. THis is my first jeep. I have been dealing with nissan. The driveshaft set up is different.

well congrats on your first jeep, and have fun learning. 4.0L jeeps are my favorite jeeps to work on. they are super simple. the suspension is litterally as simple as it looks, and jeeps are insanely interchangeable over the years and different models.

anyways, back to your problem.

1)how much lift did you install???
2)depending on how much lift, did you shim the axle to point the pinion up???

i'm pretty sure that noise is coming from your rear driveshaft. so after you pull those 4 small bolts at the rear yoke, and slide the driveshaft out of the t-case, i'm pretty sure the noise will be gone. if that's the case, you'll have to either/and/or .............shim the axle, replace the u-joint, install a t-case drop or a SYE (slip yoke eliminator).

scorpio_vette said:
well congrats on your first jeep, and have fun learning. 4.0L jeeps are my favorite jeeps to work on. they are super simple. the suspension is litterally as simple as it looks, and jeeps are insanely interchangeable over the years and different models.

anyways, back to your problem.

1)how much lift did you install???
2)depending on how much lift, did you shim the axle to point the pinion up???

i'm pretty sure that noise is coming from your rear driveshaft. so after you pull those 4 small bolts at the rear yoke, and slide the driveshaft out of the t-case, i'm pretty sure the noise will be gone. if that's the case, you'll have to either/and/or .............shim the axle, replace the u-joint, install a t-case drop or a SYE (slip yoke eliminator).

X2, that would be my suggestion, choose the easiest/least expensive first, if you need help, PM me, I'm in Kyle, as far south of Austin as you are north, it would be no problem to ride up there and drink your beer and guide you through the process...

You have yoke interference....most likely at the front where the slip yoke and driveshaft connect....the angle of the shaft allows contact....you will need to pinpoint the spots and relieve them with a die grinder and a good stone or carbide burr....check the rear also....if it is hitting it will knock out your pinion bearings...crawl under the rig with it jacked up like in the video....trans in neutral....rotate shaft slowly by hand and feel for the tight spots...the actual contact spots will be quite small and will appear as shiny or clean spots.

MudDawg said:
You have yoke interference....most likely at the front where the slip yoke and driveshaft connect....the angle of the shaft allows contact....you will need to pinpoint the spots and relieve them with a die grinder and a good stone or carbide burr....check the rear also....if it is hitting it will knock out your pinion bearings...crawl under the rig with it jacked up like in the video....trans in neutral....rotate shaft slowly by hand and feel for the tight spots...the actual contact spots will be quite small and will appear as shiny or clean spots.
X2

its an RE 3.5 with new rear springs. I am gonna take the driveshaft off and see if the u joints are bad. I have a feeling that may be the problem because there is no telling when they were replaced last

yeah, sounds like the shaft is hitting, like muddawg said, yoke interference. but once you get that noise fixed, it's probably still gonna vibrate pretty bad.

Jack it up again and put it in neutral turn it by hand you will see where it is hitting. (Front of the shaft where the yoke and slip yoke is at). You will need to put a 1" block under the T-case or dish out some cash for a slip yoke eliminator and a new shaft.

Good Luck!

Back