• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 bearings bad???

Matt99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have been getting a bad vibration at about 60+ mph. I checked my pinion angles had both shafts balanced and replaced all of the U-joints and centering joints. Still had it.

With the front shaft out the vibration is ALOT less noticable. I have been driving around with the front shaft out and just putting it in when I go wheelin.

This weekend I pulled the rear shaft and put the front in. The vibration is HORRIBLE with just the front shaft in. With the front in I am getting vibes at all MPH, but only when throttle is applied.

With both shafts out I ran it up to 75 and didn't get the vibe but got a grinding noise when the front output started spinning.

I am thinking that I need to pull the TC apart and replace the front output bearing. Does that sound right?

Does the front output bearing have to be pressed in? Will I have to pull the whole case or can i do it with the case still in the truck?

I had the same thing

happen with my 2000 and I finally had the slip yoke on the front shaft replace and it is now vibe free.

Grab the front shaft when it is on the Jeep and see if there is any side to side movement, there should be none, it should be solid. If thereis any play the get it replaced at a drive shaft shop, mine cost 125.

Hope that helps

Tom

The front bearing is held in by a C-clip behind the seal,the rear bearing requires a "collet" puller to remove.Both require the dis-assembly of the case to do(but it can stay in the vehicle).

Back