• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Making the big purchase

Cornfed-87XJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Well tomorrow is the big day. I am going down to buy my gears and lockers. I have decided on going with 5.13's and 33 spline rear axles, but i am still wobbling back and forth between going with ARB's front and rear or going OX lockers front and rear.

I was interested if you guys have some opinions and experiences between the two lockers that you would like to share.

Thanks

I guess your going to a different front axle? They don't make a 5.13 for the front HP D30. 4.88 is it :(

I have ARB's in my Ford 8.8 rear and HP Dana 44 front. Have not had an issue with the front and have been running it for a year and a half. The rear has a very slow leak somewhere inside and I havent had time to take it appart to figure out whats wrong. I think it may have something to do with the ring gear bolts backing out on this one trip about 6 months ago. The rear is 6 years old now and has survived lots of abuse from a 4.6L stroker, 5 speed manual, and 35s for two of thoes years. I also like to drag race the beast so lots of stupid throttle use and tire smoke and its been good to go :D The only maintence I have done to the rear end is fluid changes and new ring gear bolts that one time. I wouldnt think twice about getting another ARB.

AARON

I have arb front and rear. If I had to do it over again I would go with both - arb in the back and an ox in the front. There's something about having a mechanical locker as fail safe measure. While I haven't had any problems with the compressor or airlines, I've witnessed others having 'em.

While not having a locker might disqualify me from having a valid comment, I'd like to offer my opinion anyway.

The OX locker gets my vote for two reasons. 1) It's simple, and I like simple. 2) The kit includes a seriously stout diff cover machined out of a chunk of steel. If you factor in the cost of an aftermarket diff cover, the OX lockers come in at the same price, or even cheaper, (depending on what price you get.)

:)

ive never been on a run where there havent been ARB problems...

I run $200 lunchbox lockers in both ends and 5.13's in both ends, and like it on the highway, need more gears in the rocks...

my $200 lockers have yet to not work...

Back