• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB problem: can transmit, cannot recieve

Starscream

NAXJA Forum User
The title says it: I can transmit to everyone else I've tried, but I cannot hear anything. At first I assumed it to be a faulty internal speaker. I bought an external speaker to hopefully fix it, but I still can't hear a thing. Could this be my antenna acting up, or maybe just the radio itself going dead?

Firestik 3' antenna kit
Midland CB
Radio Shack 5W external

Starscream said:
The title says it: I can transmit to everyone else I've tried, but I cannot hear anything. At first I assumed it to be a faulty internal speaker. I bought an external speaker to hopefully fix it, but I still can't hear a thing. Could this be my antenna acting up, or maybe just the radio itself going dead?

Firestik 3' antenna kit
Midland CB
Radio Shack 5W external

I think I would be shopping for a new radio. If you turn down the squelch can you hear static? You should be able to hear static even if you don't have an antenna attached. If you don't ever hear anything, there is a physical problem inside the radio.

What model CB? Do you have any controls other than volume or squelch?

mecompco said:
I think I would be shopping for a new radio. If you turn down the squelch can you hear static? You should be able to hear static even if you don't have an antenna attached. If you don't ever hear anything, there is a physical problem inside the radio.
That's what I'm trying to avoid. I can hear static with the squelch all the way down, but no voices. Up until late summer this past year it worked fine.
karstic said:
What model CB? Do you have any controls other than volume or squelch?
Midland compact (I can get an exact model # if that's what you meant) - it has volume, squelch, instant Ch. 9, CB/PA... I think that's it.

Oh Crap! Have you ever heard of a "SWR Meter"?

Mine had the same symptoms as yours did(this was 2 years ago) but I never heard of a SWR meter until after I found out I killed it.

You blew the transreciver.

Its time to get a new one, but make sure you tune it in with the SWR meter.

He says it transmits ok but wont recieve. Thats not an SWR issue. I think its something inside the radio thats screwed up.

it could be a bad coax or on pa not cb.how do you know transmitt is ok does it have audio output? did it have any symtoms like recieve in and out before recieve quit?

i would say you have a bad recieve wire in your microphone.

do you get a recieve signal showing on your meter when someone talks?

If you know that you are positively able to transmit and you can't receive, you either have an operator issue or a dead receiver.

I know it is transmitting because my friend parked near me can hear me over his and I know it is not receiving because I can't hear anything. It is not an operator issue, I've checked. :D To answer a question, I don't get a receive signal when anyone talks, it's just dead static like nothing is even happening.

PaulJ said:
If you know that you are positively able to transmit and you can't receive, you either have an operator issue or a dead receiver.

PaulJ hit it on the head. Since you can get static, the audio side is fine, but it appears that the RF receive section has died.

That's normally the cheapest way to go. Sorry.....

Starscream said:
So... new CB time?

Garage sales, swap meets, flea markets, eBay, CraigsList, Naxja For Sale Forum. I see good used Cb's all the time for $5 and $10.

Then go to www.firestik.com and read the Tech Help section on SWR.

Back