• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 Crank bushing

Wayne Sihler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I am in the process of swapping an AX-15("95") for a 87 BA-5/10.All previous posts suggest using a bushing from a CJ w/304 3 spd tranny.That is part #3236726 and that was a bronze bushing.That part is now super- ceded to #53009181-AB which is a needle bearing type.A rough measurement yeild a 1" OD and a .775 ID,The bearing fits fine on the input of the AX-15.What I need to know is the size of the hole in the crank or the OD of the CJ style bronze bushing ? The XJ getting the new tranny is a 87 4.0.The replacement tranny is a 95 and came with the TC and all driveshafts.
Thanks,
Wayne

When I swapped out my '87 peugeot tranny for a 3550, I went with the bronze bushing (from Advanced Adapters), which fit into an "outer" hole in the flywheel (not the "inner" hole which had the peugeot pilot needle-bearing).

Initially, I thought the bushings O.D. was (slightly) too big for the flywheel, but I froze the bushing and wacked the crap out of it with a mallet to get it into the flywheel.

In hindsight, I would have prefered a bearing over a bushing... so if you get the opportunity to choose...

TheNerd said:
When I swapped out my '87 peugeot tranny for a 3550, I went with the bronze bushing (from Advanced Adapters), which fit into an "outer" hole in the flywheel (not the "inner" hole which had the peugeot pilot needle-bearing).

Initially, I thought the bushings O.D. was (slightly) too big for the flywheel, but I froze the bushing and wacked the crap out of it with a mallet to get it into the flywheel.

In hindsight, I would have prefered a bearing over a bushing... so if you get the opportunity to choose...

One of the replacement bearings #53009181AB is a "outer hole" bushing with a needle bearing in it.That may be exactly what I need---
Wayne

i used the "outer hole" style bearing, and after six months i get a huge vibration out of it. i'm changing it soon for a bushing that matches the od for the peugot-style flywheel, and the id for the ax15. i hope this is better than the needle bearing deal.

I too have the bronze bushing but would feel more confortable with a needle bearing.When you find one that fits post a part # here in this thread if you would.

Back