• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best way to remove a roof?

Archdukeferdinand

NAXJA Forum User
A co-worker has offered me his rolled 95 XJ" 4.0 140,xxx on almost new 33" TSLs, 4" tomken kit, etc...

Its got a lot of parts and he only wants $1000 for it, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna buy it, it's about worth it just to buy and swap the best parts over to my '97...

The catch is he crushed the section above the front seats considerably (haven't seen pics, but apparently it isn't driveable). A and B pillars he says.

What could I do to make it driveable? I did some searching and it was mostly how to repair a rolled roof, I'm not so concerned with repairing it.

I can take a torch/sawzall/grinder with me, I'm just kinda lost as to where'd be the best and safest places to cut, and what would leave me the most to work with should I "decide" that instead of swapping all the parts onto my 3" lifted '97 I wanted to leave the 2 of them alone together overnight in a dimly lit shop with some romantic music playing so that I could come in the next morning and find a 7" frankenXJ ( I swear that this decision has not already been made...Ahem)

Could I just cut the whole roof off and do a cage and soft top?
Any other routes that haven't occurred to me? Sorry to be such newb, I'm pretty good with the wrenches but when it comes to frame stuff I'm a little lost...

grinder will do it, sawzall also, use what you have.

I would buy it and make a tube rear keep half doors, cut right along where the door glass starts, straight to the rear window, then i never saw a home made windshield that didnt make an xj look like the gayest model t ever, so i would get a junk yard a pillars and windshield and weld those on also (i am assuming its busted out) and a pillars are totally collapsed.

If you already have a good runner, now you will have 2. Lucky sob :yelclap:

Don't cut the A pillar off at the base, ideally you want atleast 6 inches of the base of the A pillar to remain. Cutting off at the base makes the window less strong and will make aligning things harder.

not that this has anything to do with your question, but the thread above this one when I saw it was titled "Best way to replace a roof?"

No joke.

Ok, continue.

Here is a friends xj that was also rolled, after he removed the top he let some local kids have fun with the paint brushes but you get the idea where he cut

I used a cut-off wheel for the flimsy sheet metal portions and a saw-zall for the pillars. Also agreed on the keepign as much pillar ar possible all around. Atleast on the (A and B pillars.windshield and behind front seats)Other than that, have fun and WACK THAT THING

Back