• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 questions

wrd74

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering if the passenger side and drive side axle shafts are the same length, and if there is any difference between the two? Seems like all the axle company's only have one part number for both sides.

I ask because I was told today that I needed to remove my axles shafts(27 spline) and bring them down so they could see what length shafts I needed(want 29 spline and a power trax locker). Is it that the 29 spline are longer or shorter the then 27 spline? This doesn't make any sense to me.

Thanks in advance.
Wayde

They have to order the shafts, so I don't really want to pull them twice. Still need the truck to get to work while I wait for them to arrive.

Right and left are the same. Not sure what needs to be measured, there is only 1 size axle in either 27 or 29 spline choices. The only question should be is "What are you planing on for a carrier?" (yes i know u answered that question, just saying it should be the only "option" in the changover.

If i'm wrong i'd sure like to hear whats different.

XJLaredo said:
Right and left are the same. Not sure what needs to be measured, there is only 1 size axle in either 27 or 29 spline choices. The only question should be is "What are you planing on for a carrier?" (yes i know u answered that question, just saying it should be the only "option" in the changover.

If i'm wrong i'd sure like to hear whats different.
I'm 99.99999% sure you are right. JIM.

the length of the 27s and 29s are same for both sides. In order to upgrade to 29 spline, you will need a new carrier.

djblade311 said:
the length of the 27s and 29s are same for both sides. In order to upgrade to 29 spline, you will need a new carrier.

Sounds familiar.

djblade311 said:

If I get the Power trax no-slip(for 29 spline axle) and put it in my stock carrier that should work right? I don't need a new carrier, or do I?

Thanks for your help everyone.

and just to clarify, if you get a new carrier, make sure its an OPEN carrier and not a Limited Slip Traclok carrier. Tracloks wont work with lunchbox lockers.

Thanks guys, I guess my 27 spline carrier must have a smaller opening for the shafts to slide throw, and thats way I need a the 29 spline carrier?

sorry for all the question, just want to do it right the first time.
Thanks

wrd74 said:
Thanks guys, I guess my 27 spline carrier must have a smaller opening for the shafts to slide throw, and thats way I need a the 29 spline carrier?

sorry for all the question, just want to do it right the first time.
Thanks

And also will I be able to run the same shims used on my 27 carrier on the 29, if I can't I guess i need new shims and a mechanic to ajust it all?

so for the up grade I will need:
29 spline axles
power trax no slip(for 29 spline)
29 spline carrier
shims (maybe?)

any thing else you would suggest?

Thanks

Back