• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durango 8.25 axle....could it work?

Flash

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 Durange 8.25 axle. how hard would it be to modify to fit a 89 XJ with a pressent 35?
I now that the axle shafts would have to be replace(6 lug).
and i'm prighty sure that it is a little bit wider.

How much work?.... would it be worth the effort, or not?

I have the axle and it only has 1,500 miles on it!

Flash.

The 29 spline Yukon axle shafts I just ordered for my XJ 8.25 were listed for Durango on Randy's Ring & Pinion website IIRC.

At about $100 each I think they're a bargain and would sort your stud-pattern issue.

I guess you can use the same lockers and gears as any other 8.25 so it sounds like you're onto a winner as long as you don't mind spending a little to gain a nice fresh (and strong in my opinion) axle.

Flash said:
I have a 2000 Durange 8.25 axle. how hard would it be to modify to fit a 89 XJ with a pressent 35?
I now that the axle shafts would have to be replace(6 lug).
and i'm prighty sure that it is a little bit wider.

How much work?.... would it be worth the effort, or not?

I have the axle and it only has 1,500 miles on it!

Flash.
It's a 9.25", not 8.25".

Frank Z said:
It's a 9.25", not 8.25".

NO its a 8.25(the tag on the alxe says 8.25.)

I got this one cus chry put the wrong axle in at the factory(the recall covered like 10,000 of them or some thing like that. Recall required a new 9.25 to be installed

So now i have this 1,500 mile 8.25 axle

Flash.

91 Jeep Project said:
How the hell do you manage that................:twak:

I was told to replace it, Chy didn't want it back,......thay said to scrap it:twak: .......do i did, in my garage, under my bench.:laugh3:

Now being a xj owner wondering if it would work.

Flash.

Flash said:
I was told to replace it, Chy didn't want it back,......thay said to scrap it:twak: .......do i did, in my garage, under my bench.:laugh3:

Now being a xj owner wondering if it would work.

Flash.

EDIT
OK, was of by a little it was a "2002" Durango 8.25.......recall ## A08 and there were only 3,250 of them that had to be replaced.

I was under the understanding that Dakotas were 6 on 4.5 lug pattern. So it wouldn't match the front.

Trailbst said:
I was under the understanding that Dakotas were 6 on 4.5 lug pattern. So it wouldn't match the front.

Ya i now i need to replace the axle with 5 lug jeep pattern.

are thy 5 on 4.5?

flash.

to see if it would fit you would have to measure the distance between the leaf spring mounts. then compare the the xj's (i dont remember the distance between the leaf springs off the top of my head). if its within tolerances youll be good to go. if not, you would have to cut off the perches and weld same or new ones on.

as far as shafts go, your correct. a new shaft or a wheel spacer that corrects lug pattern would be required to run the jeep 4 on 4.5 patern. i know the durrangos have the six lug, but i thought some dakotas have the same patern as we do. anyone know for sure on that?

hth

old school dakotas (first gen) that use the 8.25 have the same bolt pattern as a Jeep, I know from first hand experience. They also came with 3.91 gearing in the rear diff (which in my opinion would kick ass for 31" tires). If your on the cheap, MAYBE earlier Dakota shafts will fit right into your new Durango axle.

J-Roc said:
old school dakotas (first gen) that use the 8.25 have the same bolt pattern as a Jeep, I know from first hand experience. They also came with 3.91 gearing in the rear diff (which in my opinion would kick ass for 31" tires). If your on the cheap, MAYBE earlier Dakota shafts will fit right into your new Durango axle.

that sure is tempting

I was pretty sure the Durango was SUA. If that is the case, you will have to weld on new perches. Also, if the gears dont match you will have to get new gears, or a new front axle. At that point, you would be better off selling that axle and buying another axle instead. Like a D44, 8.8 or bigger.

J-Roc said:

good idea but were would i find spec on the axles to now if thy are the same length, before i when a searching in bone yards?

quote=Power5]I was pretty sure the Durango was SUA. If that is the case, you will have to weld on new perches. Also, if the gears dont match you will have to get new gears, or a new front axle. At that point, you would be better off selling that axle and buying another axle instead. Like a D44, 8.8 or bigger.[/quote]

yep, just when and looked Durango is under axle and XJ is over alxle.......so even if the lurches matched, thy would have to be moved or replaced!:(

It would have better brakes thow.

Flash.

Back