• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Ft. Bumper - Little Help Please

boomer1

NAXJA Forum User
First off, everyone here has been very helpful in the past, and I thank you. Now, we are just about to put a Custom4X4 front bumper on my son's 1988 Cherokee. It looks like a great bumper with support on the unibody frame. It appears that we will have to relocate the vacumn canister. As we are working on it, a couple of other problems have come to mind. When the heater is on, it's only on defrost. The other problem is the cruise control doesn't work. It seems like I've seen other posts that both problems center around the vacumn canister. I figured that while we have the bumper off, I can check the lines. Is there anyway for a simple mechanic (my garage) can check the vacumn lines, or do you just trace them back through the firewall and look for something cracked or disconnected? Any one have a diagram of the canister and what each line goes to? Any help would be appreciated!
:wstupid:

Check the canister itself for holes or cracks. There should be only 1 (or 2) lines going into the canister. Run your fingers along the lines and listen for any leaks while the engine is running.

The lines like to rub through right where they go through the radiator core support under the corner of the battery tray. As for which line goes where, 1 hard line and 1 rubber hose go to each of the ports on the ends of the cannister. The port that is closer to the center on each end is for the rubber hose. One of the hard lines goes to the heater box, and the other one goes to the cruise module. The rubber hoses "tee" together, and then run to the intake.

Boomer,

The heat being in defrost mode is definitely a vaccum issue as well as the cruise. I really have trouble finding vaccum leaks. I have been looking for one that is causing my heat to default to defrost under real hard acceleration. I visually checked everything and felt for cracks like was suggested. Another thing you can do is start the motor and take a can of starter fluid or carb cleaner and start spraying the lines and their connectors. There should be a change in the idle if you come across a bad line. Unfortunately this didn't work for me and I'm still looking.

Also...when I relocated my main canister I just found a spot for it in the engine bay and secured it with zipties.

-river

Thanks for the help. We'll be putting on the bumper tommorrow, once I get the garage warm. We've had a very, very white Christmas in Denver lol

Thanks again everyone

Pulled the stock bumber off and took out the vacumn canister. Canister in good shape, no leaks. Started tracing the plastic vacumn tubing and LOL it was falling into pieces. Anyway, got the new Custom4x4 rock bumper mounted, figured out a way to remount the canister behind the new bumper, up next to the radiator, ran all new plastic lines, and vola' heater works in all positions and cruise is back. Thanks again

Is the cruise control and Heater the only things that should be affected by this little Vacuum Canister?
When I bought my 96 Cherokee, the rubber line that runs along the passenger side and then under the battery was split in two. I need to totally replace the tubing, but is there any other problems that could be caused by this broken Vacuum line?

PBen

Back