• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Truetrac in a dd

It will invisible both engaged & disengaged. Ran one for several years before putting the front Detroit in, also invisible when not engaged. Like Chuck said, slow crawling really doesn't get it going unless your riding the brake. I had a hand throttle:D

Rob

I love mine. Works great offroad, makes no differnce on road in two-wheel drive.

Glen

DirtyMJ said:
I had one. Quite liked it on and off road. That was with a 5-speed and no vac disco BS.
Only problem was it caused my R&P to fail. Stupid D30.

How did a Tru-Trac cause you R&P to Fail??? Sounds like a fubar installation to me.

Rob $.02

FELIX said:
How did a Tru-Trac cause you R&P to Fail??? Sounds like a fubar installation to me.

Rob $.02

No - it was an issue with traction. A D30 R&P is as weak as a D35's. The truetrac was just too much for it to handle. I'm actually quite amazed how well the truetrac worked.

I'd not hesitate to run one again in a DD/street friendly rig.

I have them in front & back in my DD. You wont even notice they are there...... until you need em! :D

Running nearly 10 years in the front with one and no problems at all. There is no way they would cause a failure as they have enough slip in them to always allow high torque to go to the slipping side. That is their dis-advantage for optimum traction but their advantage in being kinder to the components around it.

3 years in mine,35k miles and countless trailswithout an issue. I second the invisibility comment. Very glad I went with it because my Heep is a DD too.

John

I don't like mine, just doesn't lock up when I really need it. If you have a front tire hanging in the air you might as well be open in the front, unless you want to play with the brake. For me I have enough to do when I have a front tire in the air, gas, clutch and brake no thanks. I am going to pull mine out and go with a selectable latter on. Mine is also a DD.

jwtrapper said:
I don't like mine, just doesn't lock up when I really need it. If you have a front tire hanging in the air you might as well be open in the front, unless you want to play with the brake. For me I have enough to do when I have a front tire in the air, gas, clutch and brake no thanks. I am going to pull mine out and go with a selectable latter on. Mine is also a DD.

Exactly what I think about mine. I think they are good for a DD and occasional trail rig. Great in the snow. But when you need the traction, sometimes its not there. I'll be going to a selectable also.

DirtyMJ said:
No - it was an issue with traction. A D30 R&P is as weak as a D35's. The truetrac was just too much for it to handle. I'm actually quite amazed how well the truetrac worked.

I'd not hesitate to run one again in a DD/street friendly rig.

I see, so basically, you locked it up got the tires bound up & something had to give ( the R&P). Was having a had time trying to see how the Tru-Trac itself caused the carnage. I ran one about 5 years, w/ no trouble at all.

Rob

jwtrapper said:

Hey JW what's up? I would just like to say that TTs don't lock up because they are not lockers. I know you know that, but it had to be said. They are not meant to be lockers. LSs and lockers have advantages and disadvantages. One advantage of a LS on the road is that it is not a locker. One disadvantage off road is that it is not a locker. On the road on snow and ice I love mine. I have had a blast with all this deep snow. Never stuck once. Off road, there is only so much the break will do. It will not make it a locker. My XJ is being built for off road. I will put a OX up front too, but I will miss the TT up front in the snow on the road.

No problem on the street. I go back and forth on how much I like it. A friend of mine is locked front and rear and I have gone everywhere he has and I am on a smaller tire. However I still get in situations where it only spins one front tire. The brakes do help a little bit, get carried away though and you brake a brake your joints :D.

Back