• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bulk up dif covers?

beakie

NAXJA Forum User
While my rig is getting re-geared this week, is it feasible for me to take the covers with me to work and welded on some plate to bulk them up a bit.
I have just learned how to weld, so I don't want to ruin th eonly covers I have, but is this something people have done in the past? if so what should I keep in mind?
The front D30 is pretty thick already. But should I think about just welding some plate to the body of it, or to the ring aswell... or cut a new ring, plate it and have it so I can put it on over the orig dif cover seperately?
As for the rear Chryco 8.25, it seems nothing much more than sheet metal (I know its thicker just sayin) so I probably won't want to weld to it. Here again I was thinking cut a new ring weld some plate to it, and have it go on over the orig cover.

If someone has any ideas, or better yet some pics I would really appreciate it. Heck tell me I'm out to lunch and should spend some money and buy some. Granted I won't... gearing and tranny work will be killler right before Christmas.

thanks

ive seen some clear plastic diff covers on an xj once, i think they were made of polycarbonate. they are supposed to be pretty indestructable, that and they look cool!
edit: anyone know where to get these?

Last edited:
txjeep103 said:
ive seen some clear plastic diff covers on an xj once, i think they were made of polycarbonate. they are supposed to be pretty indestructable, that and they look cool!
edit: anyone know where to get these?
Somehow I dont think those will last very well. But if you get an LED and put it in, then instant bling.

http://www.cleargearz.com/

Back