• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long Arm question (TNT .... Rock Krawler PLUS system)

uncc civilengineer

NAXJA Forum User
To start with im long arming the XJ over the next few weeks...

I was all set on going w/ the TNT arms until I heard that Rock Krawler is offering a similar "high clearance" arm design (PLUS system) BUT it's 3 linked...

Anyone running the NEW kit from Rock Krawler.. How are it's road manners? they said they are using poly bushings at the frame now instead of hard joints... ANY INFO would be greatly appreciated.

Welding doesn't bother me at all and I was wondering what others w/ the RK 3link setup are using for belly skids? Do you think the TNT belly pan would work... Maybe even use it to mount the lower arms to?

Im just trying to get any info I can to help me make a more informed decision.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
I was in this bind a couple of months ago, I was going to buy the TNT until I read that if your doing any transmission work or t-case work the whole fornt suspension had to be dropped. Also, I had pruchased a cheap belly skid from a friend and didn't want it to go to waste. So I purchased the old style RK system and it is an excellent kit I personally don't think the metal ends were a bad idea they were noisy at first but I squeezed in some lithium grease and they are all quite. RK is top notch stuff using solid stock for their links. I love it and wouldn't change a thing. Since we are both in NC we should meet up at Uwharrie when it opens again. If your interested give me a PM.

I love my RK long arm kit also. With the hard joints it does tend to feel a little rougher when hitting a bump while driving down the road. As soon as RK makes the new bushing joints available i will be putting a set on mine. The ride is isn't really that bad. You definitely know that you are in a lifted rig but i have been in worse. I have a friend that is installing the TNT kit but i haven't seen it first hand yet so I can no comment on it.

The kit I just got does not have a belly pan. They mount below the frame rail, roughly about 2". So if you are looking for clearence this may not be the way to go...

I will be working on my rig starting tonight so I can go buy tires this weekend. (33's) if all goes good.

I think it's a bad idea for the RockKrawler system to have ANY bushings; a 3-link doesn't bind, so it doesn't need bushings and they will just allow slop in the system. Again, I consider the URF 3 link the standard in 3 link XJ suspensions.

Also, they introduced bent arms to clear the tires and full turn, they still hang below the frame rail.

If I was buying a front suspension it would absolutely be the TnT for rock-crawling or the Full-Traction for high-speed.

BrettM... Money isnt all that important but here's some prices:

TNT Longarm Upgrade = $1048.00 shipped
Rock Krawler Longarm Upgrade = $387.00 shipped

Thats a pretty huge difference, I mean that's a winch for when you get hung up on the RK longarms... lol..

ON A SIDE NOTE:
what does everyone recommend for shocks for either of these kits for the front.. Im looking for some 12-inch travel shocks im assuming? Im sitting around 5-5.5" of lift.

TIA.

Prices were quoted from TNT shipped... Yeah I thought that 150.00 for shipping was a little steep but that's straight from them...

RK prices are from a vendon we use around here.. AND, I actually just ordered the Rock Krawler LA upgrade for $387.00 shipped.. and some Precision 4.56's w/ carrier and install kits for 489.00 shipped...

His prices seem to be pretty good for the most part.

So, all I have left to order is a HD trackbar & bracket, 12-inch travel shocks... OR maybe some coilovers, I just cant decide.

AS for TNT's belly pan, yeah that thing is awesome and that was one of the selling factors I was looking at. BUT, I currently have a skidrow Tcase skid that seems to be functioning fine.

BretM.....You strike me as a fairly knowledgeable guy...IYO I have a 98 DD that I want to redo my lift to about the 6 inch range.
I rockcrawl maybe three weeks a year but I like the 4-4+ trails. Price not an issue, Quality is. Ride quality importance rates a 9 out 10 for me.

Out of the three choices where do they rate?

A) Full Taction longarm
b) TnT Ylink?
c) RE 5.5 Longarm

Shocks? 5150's or the 7100's suggestions?

do you ever like pretending you race JeepSpeed? yes, go full-traction. no, go TnT.

the RE longarm is a terrible design and would be my absolute last choice for longarms.

shocks... I don't have enough experience to say, but 5150s and 7100s are both great shocks. again, if you like playing JeepSpeed I would go with resevoir 7100s.

Yeah, I don't pretend to do anything nor do know everything, so thanks for the opinion. Like I say i'm not what I would consider a hard core rockcrawler. But, when I go I like everything to work like its supposed to.

TnT makes a fine lift with no doubt.
Full Traction has that reputation for running very smooth at speeds, which appeals to me, because I'm still looking for comfort.

Thanks again.

I have a TNT kit showing up on friday... It is in fact $1040 shipped, and yes that does seem high, but UPS has the shipping weight at 125 LBS!

The selling point for me with the TNT kit was the cross member assembly with the integrated TC skid...i was deciding between Clayton, RK and TNT

Also i will be running 5150's with this setup

Last edited:
98XJ... the shocks and spring rates you are looking at really dont afford comfort... The Bilstein monotubes listed are extremely stiff as are the springs associated with 6-inches of lift.

TNT makes an awesome radius arm setup but their lift is made from RE parts..

RE LAs are absolutely beefy but they hang down a lot.

Full traction uses full uppers and lowers which is nice..

And you stated that price is not much of an problem but when you're building a capable daily driver with 6-inches of lift its going to get expensive...

One of the things I like about the TnT system is the way they put together options for the rear springs. For example, with most vendors if you want 4" of lift, you have a couple of options: full 4" springs or Add-a-leafs or shorter springs and BLOCKS!!. If you want to have blocks (why?) or longer shackles you have to put it all together yourself.

However TnT considers the effects of full springs in it's design and has options that they offer for longer shackles and taller springs mounts (NOT BLOCKS), all of which allow for a flatter spring which = more flex!!

I guess I'm a one stop shopping kind of guy. That is, when I shop, often I build my own stuff like my front bumper http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=78511&highlight=front+bumper+project

But when I don't want to, or can't build it, I like to buy what I feel is the best, and TnT is on the top of my list!!

I'd go TNT, sell my RE arms and get some money back and that gets me a great LA kit and bellypan. Guess its an easier choice when all I got is a warn t-case skid thats beat though.

I'm running the new RK setup, and LOVE IT!! The coilovers in the rear help too, overall its an amazing setup!!

The onroad ride it MUCH better upfront, and thats awsome caues it was good before with the solid joints at both ends.

I recommend it 100%!! I'm working on a full writeup, but PM me if you have any quesions.

uncc civilengineer said:
98XJ... the shocks and spring rates you are looking at really dont afford comfort... The Bilstein monotubes listed are extremely stiff as are the springs associated with 6-inches of lift.

TNT makes an awesome radius arm setup but their lift is made from RE parts..

RE LAs are absolutely beefy but they hang down a lot.

Full traction uses full uppers and lowers which is nice..

And you stated that price is not much of an problem but when you're building a capable daily driver with 6-inches of lift its going to get expensive...

Believe me I've thought all that through and i've acually changed my mind a couple of times.
I've already started preparing by adding a 4.1 TeraLow, HD SYE, six states driveshaft and new 33's on black rockcrawler wheels.(in the garage)
I wanted to have all that done by the time I stick another lift under it.

I just hope that i've made up my mind by next month. Thats my goal. Gotta be ready for Easter!!!1

Back