• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

acetone to remove paint overspray..

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I have some over spray on my windows from my paint job and was going to use acetone to remove it but needed to get some advice first because I'm worried that it will eat the safety laminate on the windows....I know it'll eat plastic.Will it affect the laminate?

T.I.A

go to your local walmart, or wherever you want...

get a razor blade scraper. and an extra pack of blades.

blades will take off overspray very well, not very hard work either.

The plastic is in the center of two sheets of glass it will be fine and i have done it before. Now if you have aftermarket tint on the inside of the glass the acetone will eat it because is on the outside of the glass but thats only on the inside. You can scrach the crap out of the glass using razor blades if you need proof ill take pictures of my jeep where the last owner tried to remove the paint for advertising the jeep on the windows.

Those 3M scuff pads are good for removing overspray on glass. Wipe the glass with a little laquer thinner, then use the scuff pad.

Aceton will work OK, then quick before the Aceton evaporates and the film sticks, wipe it down with a little oil (WD 40 or something) then use regular glass cleaner. Turpentine is my favorite, if the paint is still a little tacky, it works as a solvent and also leaves an oil like film on there. Some car paints (especially primer), if they have cured well, are fairly solvent resistant, even aceton resistant on occasion. DOT 3 brake fluid lifts fresh paint pretty quick, I've used it occaisonally on rubber pieces with overspray on them, solvent on rubber often makes the paint sink in and stain.
Some of those 3M pads are glass safe, some are not (they come in differnet grades and types, read the instructions), try a test patch first.
Next time, wipe the windows down with some Turtle wax (guick wax) or eqivilant. Really makes cleanup much easier. Leave the wax on there as a powder, then rub it out when your done. Car wax actually works really well for cleaning windows. You can also use a lite coat of grease to protect things from overspray, but that can get tricky and cause problems all it's own if the grease gets smeared around some. I use grease (or vaseline) on rubber stuff, to protect it from overspray on occasion.

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
Those 3M scuff pads are good for removing overspray on glass. Wipe the glass with a little laquer thinner, then use the scuff pad.

As 8 mud notes above, not all those pads are glass safe. Years ago I made the mistake of using a green one on a brand new windshield and scratched it badly! :cry:

Back