• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aux tranny cooler?

Tre

NAXJA Forum User
ok i'm approaching the finish line with my aw4 swap. but i'd like to run a aux cooler thats independent of the rad. the 88 xj of mine's closed system is tax'd as it is.

what i'm wondering though is what rating cooler should i get.
I'm looking at a b&m unit rated at 13000btu and dimensions of 11x7.5x.75"
is this sufficient?

Thats the one I have. It's a pretty nice unit in my opinion. There is a writeup on Jeepin.com detailing the install of the cooler.

Tre said:
ok i'm approaching the finish line with my aw4 swap. but i'd like to run a aux cooler thats independent of the rad. the 88 xj of mine's closed system is tax'd as it is.

what i'm wondering though is what rating cooler should i get.
I'm looking at a b&m unit rated at 13000btu and dimensions of 11x7.5x.75"
is this sufficient?

That should be sufficient in my book.
Here is the link Israel is refering too.

http://www.jeepin.com/features/trannycooler/index.asp

thanks for the tech link guy's. much appreciated.

brett - ya i'll be putting it infront of the rad on the driver side. then running a aux fan behind the rad. seeing my xj never actually came with one. *shrug*

whats funny is my xj has always stayed cool. even when wheelin. its got the closed system and just the clutch fan on the motor. never go's past 100

so would you guy's recommend installing this aux cooler without routing the fluid threw the rad?

i'd rather just keep the tranny cooling totally independent of the rad all together.

I would recommend it seperate of the radiator, and that's what I did. Putting a tranny temp guage in would be cool too, I tried hooking a sender up to the engine temp. guage through a DPDT switch so I could select which temp I was looking at... I never did get it to work, but I gave up rather easily.

Oh, and if your engine temp never gets over 100, there is a problem with either your sender or guage. Even when I had my truck in Michigan and it was -10 degrees it would still run 205-210.

BrettM said:
my mistake. blame the american public school system.
lol, nah its my bad for not putting a C after the 100 :D

thats a cool idea on the DPDT switch and engine temp gauge. pretty creative!

i think i'll probably just run a autometer gauge and sending unit.

I 'd still put the aux fan in. I had planned on installing one, and having it on your basic switch in the cab. Just for wheeling. I hit about 225 the last time I was out at slow speeds. It rarely gets past 200 in my DD duties. it stays right where the thermostat opens at 195.

87manche said:
I 'd still put the aux fan in. I had planned on installing one, and having it on your basic switch in the cab. Just for wheeling. I hit about 225 the last time I was out at slow speeds. It rarely gets past 200 in my DD duties. it stays right where the thermostat opens at 195.
exactly what i had planned! :D i wanted the aux cooler on a seperate circuit with a basic on/off switch. that way i can turn it on when wheeling. cuz i'm sure my DD duties won't over work it at all.

Back