• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.10s and 33s whats your opinion for a daily driver

B

brianb2247

just wondering if anyone has this setup and do they like it
inline 6 aw-4 tranny 4.10 gears 33 inch tires for everyday drivingNAXJA

what im asking is does any one have this set up do they like it are they satisfied thats all

i would suggest 4.56. much better for daily use, at 75mph youll probably be at 2800rpm. i think 4.11 would be too hard on the tranny up hills etc. and you wont be able to move very much. and the 4.56 if you decide to go off road will also be beneficial.

ditto
etaniyani said:
i would suggest 4.56. much better for daily use, at 75mph youll probably be at 2800rpm. i think 4.11 would be too hard on the tranny up hills etc. and you wont be able to move very much. and the 4.56 if you decide to go off road will also be beneficial.

4.10 would put you back to stock gearing. If you're going to run a 10.50 wide tire which displaces less air at highway speed, as well as having less rollong mass, and don't have a roof rack or other aerodynamic drag, then this gear will probably make you happy.

If you're going with a wider tire, have a roof rack, rig is heavy (bumpers, rocker protection, winch, roof rack, equipment), etc, then 4.56 might be better.

In general the rule of thumb is 4.56's for 33's with the auto.

However, 4.10s are better than 3.73's or 3.55's:)

The answer to this question realy depends on the info behind the question. Are you putting new gears in? or do you have donor axles? or do you already have the 4.10's and just going larger tires? is this temporary? do you ever go off road? do you commute a long way in this truck?

Michael

4.10s are okay, but not ideal.

4.56s is what i went with. I wish i had 4.88s.

its what I am running and on flat ground I am happy, on long inclines just pop the tranny into third and roll with it.

I have towed a boat with it also and was able to maintain 75mph up all overpasses.

If I was actually purchasing both sets of gears I would have gone 4.56 though.

I have 4.10's / 33's and just ordered 4.88's. I went from 31's to 33's and have had them for a month now. 4.10's really suck on any minor hill. I hardly use OD. For a DD, 4.56 would be just fine IMO. But I live in a "hilly" area (Moab) and I would have gone with some low 5's if I could have stuffed them in the D30 front . My criteria is to keep the R's at or under 3K (in OD) @ 70mph. My two cents worth.

To answer what you're really asking, my gas mileage is better after changing out the 4.10s to 4.56s. More power, rarely downshifts ect.

I run 33's and 4.88's on a daily driver. its the only way to go....
Thats also freeway driving.....

Harvo said:
So basically what we are all saying is that "it doesn't really matter" they all work.
Ummm not really cause anything will "work". What we are saying is that the vehicle will move forward but that it is not the best combination.

vegas_baja said:
I run 33's and 4.88's on a daily driver. its the only way to go....
Thats also freeway driving.....

Listen to this guy:thumbup:

I run 4.88's with a NON-OD trans...works for me..will cruise all day at 65.

MudDawg said:
Listen to this guy:thumbup:

I run 4.88's with a NON-OD trans...works for me..will cruise all day at 65.

I'll 3rd that. I am going to 35's in the future. I am running 33's now. Actually 32.8' (metrics) I was worried that 4.88 were too low. Originaly had 30s, then 31s on stock 3.55. The changes were subtle but there. Less acceleration, tranny always shifting hunting. When I did the 4.88s, I was suprised that it wasn't that big of a deal. If I hadn't actually counted the teeth myself before I installed them, I would swear I got the wrong ratio. On any open road I always do 70-80mph. I'm at 3000 w/ auto/OD. Now I see why people say they wish they would have done 5.18 with 35s. If you are buying the gears,maybe you don't want 4.88, but definatly go with 4.56s. Yes, 4.10 are better than 3.55 with 33s, but if you are taking the time and effort, don't go less than 4.56 with 33s. There you go, another e-pinion to go on the pile.

Oh ya, off road it kicks butt. I actually have choices now. What a concept!

Last edited:
Back