• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Small lift and tire sizes

ThePhantum

NAXJA Forum User
I am installing a 1" lift in a few weeks (it's a start) to stick some larger tires on and get a bit more ground clearance.

What I am wondering is what the largest tire is that I can stick underneath given the lift I am putting in. I'm pretty sure that 30x9.5's will run under there with no problems.

But I would love to be able to go up to a set of 31x10.5's! :guitar:

Anyone know if I can do that with a 1" lift on an otherwise stock 97 Sport and not have any major rubbing or other problems? Or should I just stick with 30x9.5's?

Rock on!

It's usually going to take a 2" lift to clear 30s without major rubbing. You can use it on-road but offroad should normally have rub. Where did you get a 1" lift? I don't recall seeing anything shorter than a 2" Budget Boost in the majority of catalogs.

BTW, a 3" lift is normally going to fit 31s...

I got the 1" lift at Quadratec.com (Part #KJ09106BK). It's basically coil spring spacers in the front and longer shackles in the back. I am (eventually) going to go up to either 3" or 4.5" lift with 32x11.5's, but I'm not ready to invest the time and money into correcting the suspension and drivetrain geometries as well as the re-gearing I would have to do...at least not yet....

I'm pretty sure I won't have a problem with the 30s, I know a guy who's running them on his stock height 95 and he only rubs slightly when off road with no rub on road...which is why I decided to do the 1".

Thanks and Rock on man!!!

well it's not all that simple.....

1. You will end up rubbing at full lock while turning on the LCA's. It's not a big deal and can be fixed by adding a washer under the little bolts that limit the turning a bit.

2. If you disconnect the front (even if you don't) I'm willing to bet $$ that you will rub a bit.... I got 31's up front and well opened up fenders and about 3.5" and I still rub up top! so it all depends what you're doing (trails and such)

But definately go for the 30's! Anything less and you'll be kicking yourself.

Phantum --

It would help tremendously to know what year your XJ is. From what I've seen and been told, the '97 and newer ones aren't as forgiving of larger tires as the older ones.

I have an '88 with no lift at all and I run 30x9.50s with no problems. There is some very minor rubbing on the lower control arms at full steering lock, that's about it.

Ed Steven's web site includes information on tire sizes and lifts. His experiments suggest that you can run (on a pre-'97) 31x10.50s ON STOCK RIMS on a stock suspension if you install taller rear bump stops. You should be fine with 30s and a 1" lift, and you may be able to run 31s.

http://members.aol.com/Stvns/XJhelp1.html

Dont buy anything from that company on EBAY. I bought a bracket for my track bar(said it was theres but it was made by skyjacker) and after a week of not hearing anything or getting anything I emailed them to see what was up. They told me it depends on what is in stock. I said "in stock, why the h*ll would you sell something on ebay that you dont have". I told them that the either ship the part or credit my paypal. I had it two days later but, if you look at ther feedback, you will see every negative thing said is all about the same problems. Some people didn't get there stuff for months. You always think it will happen to the other guy, but noooo. I am not out to slam anybody, just telling the truth and hoping nobody else has to deal with them.
Please pass this on.

Dan

Thanks Dan. I did order the aftermarket "stock look" cup holder and besides the ripped envelope it was fine. But I agree with your evaluation of their feedback. Maybe I'll just wait on the lift or go with the 1 3/4" lift through 4WD.com. Thanks again.

Save your pennies.When you do buy a lift go to Rustys off road .com. I have installed skyjackers ,bds,Rubicon express and let me tell you Rustys is the best.I am up almost 6 inches.Go to his website!!!!!!!!!!About the tires I love my bfgoodrichh allterrain tako's.

Jeeps are really easy to lift. The Cherokees are real easy. I have 8 inches on mine and I do not have a transfer case lowering kit or any kind of driveline vibrations. I had some driveline vibrations using shims so i took those out and lost the vibration. You will not have to make any changes for a 3 inch kit not even brake lines.

Eagle said:
Phantum --It would help tremendously to know what year your XJ is. From what I've seen and been told, the '97 and newer ones aren't as forgiving of larger tires as the older ones.

ThePhantum said:
Anyone know if I can do that with a 1" lift on an otherwise stock 97 Sport.

92xj242 said:
Jeeps are really easy to lift. The Cherokees are real easy. I have 8 inches on mine and I do not have a transfer case lowering kit or any kind of driveline vibrations. I had some driveline vibrations using shims so i took those out and lost the vibration. You will not have to make any changes for a 3 inch kit not even brake lines.

I'm calling :bs: here. either that or your a lucky one.
8 inches and you've not changed anything on your drive shafts?

Plus at 3 inches if you flex it out you'll need to at least remount your brake lines lower. And most likely (on a 97) do a transfer case drop.

But I've been wrong before.

Daryl

xjloop said:
Save your pennies.When you do buy a lift go to Rustys off road .com. I have installed skyjackers ,bds,Rubicon express and let me tell you Rustys is the best.I am up almost 6 inches.Go to his website!!!!!!!!!!About the tires I love my bfgoodrichh allterrain tako's.
I think by now he's saved the money as that thread is 2 years old :D

Back