• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Raised crossmember - exhaust routing

Zebaru

NAXJA Member #938
What I have is a basically flat crossmember with the t-case rotated up as far as possible by redrilling the stock tranny adaptor.

crossmember.JPG

I have seen a number of pictures of guys running flat crossmembers, but have not seen any good examples of how the exhaust is routed up and over the crossmember. With the auto, there is precious little room to snake pipes through there when you take some 2” of clearance away…

I am willing to clearance the floor if necessary, but I’d rather not, and since I am not coming up with any genius ideas on my own…

Any suggestions or examples are appreciated.

Travis

I have done this with great success. I also modified the stock tranny adapter by redrilling, but I had to plug the stock holes before redrilling because I only rotated enought to offset the new holes on the old holes. Anyway, for the exhaust, I ran it over the top of the crossmember (2" thick mounted flush with the bottom of my plated frame rails) between the crossmember and the body. I did dent the body just a touch for additional crearance, but not much. This link should bring you to an album with a bunch of pictures. http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8IbtGzVo3bMdE
Enjoy, Jeff

my cross member is exactley like yours except i have bushings at the frame sides instead of under the transfercase, my exhaust fits perfectly between the floor and the 2x2 cross member with room to spare. pretty much just like stock but up a little

Don't have any pictures yet, maybe tommorrow night but I have a flush skid and raised it 1" in the cneter and the exhaust cleared fine. I still have to add the skid for the t-case and even with that in place the exhaust should have enough room. 89 Auto...

Thanks for the replies. I had looked at Jeff's album when starting the crosmemeber, but didn't notice there were multiple pages of pictures and only saw the first dozen or so. If I had looked further, I guess I wouldn't have needed to post up.

The CAT floor looks awesome - but I'd rather not go through that much work if I dont have to. I am already way behind on this.

Looks like I need to get under there with some pipe and start figuring where all the bends need to go...

Thanks

Travis

Jes and I both fit 2.5" pipe, without floor mods, with 1/4" to spare.

The auto is not appreciably wider on that side than my NV, so you should be able to do it.

The pics I had are long gone but mine fit without too much modification. With fresh motor/tranny mounts 1/4" of space top and bottem will be OK. I did take the air chisle with a blunt tip to raise the floor just a bit just to keep the heat transfer down. The top of my xmember is about 1" above the bottem of the frame rail and have 2.5" exhaust.

you can notch out your cross member cut a piece of pipe in half and weld it in

Back