• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help, can't get the oil pan off!

89TrailXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have a 4.0, and we can't get the oil pan off. All the bolts are off, none were hard to remove. We tried to smack the side of it with a piece of 2x4 and a hammer, didn't touch it. Also tried to slide a screwdriver under the lip at one corner, and it just started to bend it. What else can we do? I don't want to damage the pan.

aaahhh yup had that problem on the xj I rescued from the junk yard. it had frozen so solid I couldnt get the crank to turn so I could get the torque converter bolts out. had to loosen the crank and rod bearings to break the crank loose. had to take the pan off to get to those, pried and hammered until it was bent, smashed and beyond repair. then I cut it too pieces with something, dont remember what, all I had left was the ring of metal that the pan mounts to the engine. May have to get an extra pan on stand by and remove the old one by what ever means neccessary.

I was going to suggest trying to heat it off with a propane torch, but then I reconsidered when I thought about the fire possibility. I would only try this if there is not a lot of oil/crud buildup around the pan.

I would recommend against using a plasma torch or a Sallzaw if you plan on using this pan in the future......

Yep need to be able to re-use this pan. It was leaking, so there's lot of oil all over it. (Which was kinda good, kept it from rusting lol)

Try rapping a putty knife with a hammer into the gasket. The edge of the putty knife should be stiff and thin enough to cut into the gasket without distorting the pan. You may need to run the putty knife along all of the flat portions of the pan, avoiding the studs, before prying the pan from the block. Good luck.

I did the heat trick, along with a gasket scraper in the seam and got it to pop. Now getting it out is a whole nother story. What a joke! Got the front shocks off, sway bar off, now going to try the lower control arms just to get it to drop down far enough to remove it. Adding a quart here and there doesn't seem too bad now LOL. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Don't forget that you'll have to unbolt the oil pump before you can remove the pan. Still, it could be a lot worse. I also have a 76 Eldo convertible and you have to actually remove the engine to get the pan off because of the FWD drivetrain.

Erik
88 Comanche

Well another update, it now leaks worse then when I started. I am going to just leave crap alone now. :twak:
Stupid Jeep.... Shoulda bought a Chevy! :doh:

Erik the Red said:
Don't forget that you'll have to unbolt the oil pump before you can remove the pan.

Uh-oh...guess I shouldn't have read that. ;) Mine came off just fine without removing the pump. :D Can't recall, it's either forward or back you have to slide the pan once it's dropped a little. It's got some baffle that goes above the pickup for the oil pan, so it hangs up when you drop it. :) Mine came out easier with the steering linkage (drag link) and trackbar unbolted. It's a lot easier getting those back on than it is the LCA's. :D Keep in mind I did this when stock, lol... I'm looking at mine lately with 7" lift and it looks like it'll be a cinch! Good luck!

I am going to just keep adding oil till I sell it lol. I think it would be easier to pull the whole motor to fix it!

Did you happen to jack the motor up to give you that add height? What about with the pan loose and sitting there if you can, take the bolt out that holds the pick up tube to the pump? that causes hang ups also

I just put it back on and I will just keeping dumping oil in it till I can unload it.

You recognize, don't you, that the weak link here is not your Jeep or its oil pan, but rather your skill and/or patience as an offroader. Good luck with your new Chevy (and Yes, I own a 2003 Silverado Duramax, but wouldn't dare try to take it where my Jeep will go!). It's your call, of course. Just don't blame the Jeep.

Yep, thats it. I have none. Not for this thing anyways. Actually, I am thinking of just sticking to riding quads and just riding along with my buddies in their Blazers.

My thinking though is why couldn't they design the thing easy to work on, not one single thing on it has been easy thus far. My chevy thats my daily drver is so easy to maintain. :soapbox:

Did you use the one piece or 4 peice gasket?

4 piece, and I think I missed one gasket with the bolts, thats why it leaks so bad. It was a weekend chore just to get that far, thats why I am so upset with it. It is my first 4x4 though, so I might be a little harsh with it.

eric91xj said:
Stupid Jeep.... Shoulda bought a Chevy!

thats not the type of thing to say around here buddy.

A Chevy wouldn't be a solution to that problem. However a grenade is a great solution to a chevy....

Yea that 4 peice is a pain. Be happy you have the option of the 1 peice. If it were me I'd do it again except I'd use the 1 peice and learn from my past experience. Then again you could just give it to me and I'd be happy to fixe the oil pan gasket and wheel the piss out of it!

Back