• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTF rear axle shifted ...

ruggedjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Just got home was backing into my driveway, kinda missed the driveway and hit the sidewalk (at idle) instead of normally just going right up, i hear a loud clunk, jump out to see this....
DSCN2175.jpg

DSCN2171.jpg

WTF?? its pouring rain i cant even get under there. U-bolts are still intact... I guess only thing left is the center pin. :mad:
Hasnt even been a year on the damn leafs

Any shouldered, hardened bolt of the correct diameter. I usually get grade 8 (or the metric equal) ones with allen heads.
My local hardware store stocks them.

After you replace the bolt and are positive that the pack was compressed before assembly, and the center bolt is tight...
The next step is to inspect and if needed, repair your spring perches. That hole needs to be round, not oblong. If it needs repair, weld a 3/16" plate on each bottom with the hole predrilled.
After that, assemble the ubolts to the spring plate, torque equally, each u-bolt. I use a X pattern when I tighten them. Be sure to tighten them to spec (52 ft/lb).

Drive the vehicle around a bit, then re-check the torque on the u-bolts.

Last edited:
If you have any degree shims(the type that go between the spring pack and the perches)you may need extended pins,both are available at any spring repair shop.

Get real spring center pin bolts.
They're very hard and have a special, cut down, allen head to fit the spring perch hole.

i had a problem with my center pin not going far enough through my spring perch due to my degree shims. Last summer i actually spit out a shim when the center bolt snapped in half and had a similar problem. I tried to get extended heads on the centerbolt but even the best spring shop around couldnt do that. I ended up putting a washer on the head then bolting up the shims and leaves together, so i have plenty of bolt head in the spring perch. I would suggest going to a spring shop for parts like U-bolts and center pins, i ordered my first set from trailmaster and you can see how that turned out.

I have never broken a centerpin, but have caught mine when they were bent a ridiculous amount. I have seen many break before though. After I caught my 5/16" center bolts (stock RE leaf spring size) bent for a 2nd time, I drilled out for 3/8". Then I found some 7/16" center pins, and will be going to them sooner or later, for an extra sense. And I did not have a porblem drilling out the springs like many always complain about...I used 1 cheap Black and Decker 3/8" bit to drill about 7 leafs before sharpening for the last few. _nick

Back