• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help w/ choosing shocks

What's your pick?

• Rancho RS9000X

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Pro Comp MX-6 adjustable

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Bilstein 5150

Votes: 58 68.2%

• Total voters

mgfabpd

NAXJA Forum User
70% highway - 10% street - 20% offroad
These will be going on the back, and I plan to run coilovers, or air shocks up front. Any comments on Fox air shocks?

mgfabpd said:
70% highway - 10% street - 20% offroad
These will be going on the back, and I plan to run coilovers, or air shocks up front. Any comments on Fox air shocks?

Fox rock! I have loved every product that I've ever used from Fox, from offroad to mountain bike to motocross, Fox are fantastic. And completely rebuildable, eas to custom valve.

SBrad001 said:
Fox rock! I have loved every product that I've ever used from Fox, from offroad to mountain bike to motocross, Fox are fantastic. And completely rebuildable, eas to custom valve.

I love Fox stuff as well - been riding it on the MTB for a long time - but aren't their bottom end auto shocks crazy spendy?

Definately the Bilsteins... Bilstein is quality and remote resevoir to boot

Well, I was hoping to get atleast 10 responses on the poll before I made my decision, but it is looking like the Bilsteins are the favs. I was kind of leaning towards them, but the adjustables turned me on becouse I do so much street driving. I think I am going to get the longest 5150's they make, and go up threw the floor & attach to the cage. Anyone done this, and have pics?
Also, on the air shocks, they are actually cheaper than quality coils, thats why I am looking into them. I'm kind of hoping to get some real advice from people who have actually run them before. I read somewhere that FarmerMatt runs them, and thought they were awsome, but I dont think he runs that thing on the street. If you do - speak up!

I was just doing some last minute research before I ordered the bilsteins, and found out that you can get the RS9000's w/ a res. The bonus as far as this option goes, is the res. is a remote mount as opposed to the fixed mount on the Bilsteins. I havn't priced them out yet, but I really like the idea of a remote mount. Sorry to drag this out, but thats alot of cheese to spend on shocks, and I want to make sure I make the right decision.

I found the RS9000's w/ res. for $190 ea. at my local Advanced Auto. I have an account w/ them, so I get fairly good deals. I have looked around, and got prices anywhere from $190 - $270 ea.
I havn't priced out the Bilsteins yet, but I think I saw a price of around $150 ea. somewhere, I just cant remember where.

Rusty's has bilsteins for $89 each, not including shipping of course. I can't comment on the 'best shock' for you since I don't have any of those, just wanted to help with the price search.

Chris

None of the above: Option should have been included.

Old Man Emu - Nitro Charger long travel shocks

Best ride on and off road.

mgfabpd said:
I was just doing some last minute research before I ordered the bilsteins, and found out that you can get the RS9000's w/ a res. The bonus as far as this option goes, is the res. is a remote mount as opposed to the fixed mount on the Bilsteins. I havn't priced them out yet, but I really like the idea of a remote mount. Sorry to drag this out, but thats alot of cheese to spend on shocks, and I want to make sure I make the right decision.
I run the RS9000's Pro Series, which are the ones with res. I love them excellent handling, and of course with the in cab control kit, you can go from Caddy soft on the freeway to super stiff off the road. I have had no issues with them as all. They make a set specifically for the TJ with a 4" lift that work perfect on the XJ as well.

Air shocks are ok but don't have the range of adjustability a coil and shock setup up will. Also most air shocks arn't the greatest off camber often requiring some sort of sway bar. The Walkers are suppost to better in this regard.

I like Bilsteins but you only have a couple of valving ratio to choose from. If you can live with one of those then I'd say go with them.

Althought I do like the Fox shox why air shox / coil overs up front and still stay with leafs in the rear? I have a 4 link rear with coilovers much better than leafs and a good set of shocks. the ride is night and day. I dont see spending all the money up front with coilovers and not doing anything about the rear.

if your serious about adjustability then stay rancho.

Their new pro series rs9000x are great for the $. You can get a FULLY loaded coil over for under 400$!!! And its got the same ride adjustable settings by the extrenal knob as does the reg ole 9000's.

Good all around setup if your serious is a Pro rs 9000x in the rear thats a remote res. smooth body at 160$ea then the pro RS coil over in the front at 385$ea and then the in cab module that allows you in the seat tunability. For all 4 with the adjustment module your still only about the cost of the front pair of coilovers setup by most anyother manuf. and thier not ext tunable.

I dont see how racho will be able to supply the demand they should have for thier coilovers. Lifetime warranty, eibach springs (2 rates with the hardward) and ext adjustable.

Back