• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bending plate

Jump This

Just another minion!
I have some 1/4" X 12" X 4'+ plate that I want to bend.
Before I get to into the project, what I want to know is, can I
bend it with a 20 ton press?
I will be making a transfer case skid that will follow the bends of the stock transfer case cross member.
If not, am I crazy to think I might be able to do it with a torch?
(I'm presently just taking a beer break and maybe check out some
of the NASCAR race...)
Rick R:sunshine:

Jump This said:
I have some 1/4" X 12" X 4'+ plate that I want to bend.
Before I get to into the project, what I want to know is, can I
bend it with a 20 ton press?
I will be making a transfer case skid that will follow the bends of the stock transfer case cross member.
If not, am I crazy to think I might be able to do it with a torch?
(I'm presently just taking a beer break and maybe check out some
of the NASCAR race...)
Perhaps it would be easier to partial cut, bend, then weld it back together (fill) at the gap?

We bend with a 20 ton press all of the time.
Just weld a chunk of angle iron inside of a channel and use another chunk of angle to press down on the metal you want to bend.
It takes a little practice, but it is very doable.

I don't know Sean....
My press wouldn't even budge the plate. You do know I am talking about 1/4 by 12" plate? I have used it to bend 6"X1/4 with no problems..just a little extra elbow grease....but it wouldn't move the bigger plate.
What did work was gouging with the plasma cutter then bending.
Thanks for the help

Not having a press or big brake, I bend sheet by partially cutting it, bending it and then welding the cut back together.
Clamp a straight edge guide (a 1"X2") where the bend is to be made and notch it with an angle grinder, using a cut-off blade. I keep notching it until I can bend it by hand.
It can be a very accurate way of positioning a bend.

lazyxj said:
Not having a press or big brake, I bend sheet by partially cutting it, bending it and then welding the cut back together.
Clamp a straight edge guide (a 1"X2") where the bend is to be made and notch it with an angle grinder, using a cut-off blade. I keep notching it until I can bend it by hand.
It can be a very accurate way of positioning a bend.
But a plasma cutter is tons faster :D
Rick R:sunshine: :sunshine:

Jump This said:
But a plasma cutter is tons faster :D
Rick R:sunshine: :sunshine:

I have all of the good stuff at work but they refuse to let me take it home, dang!

Back