• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front bumpstop alignment issues

XJSpencer

NAXJA Member #1400
What do you guys think about the coil spring inserts on this page

http://www.prothane.com/pages/productguide.html

I think if they work, they may cure my bumpstop issues. My coils hit the towers and the pucks on bottom. I want to protect my shocks but because of pinion angle, wheelbase, and caster issues, My coils are not in line with my towers. The bumps work but not very predictably.

Here is a picture that may help. The other link is a little tricky.

universalcoilspringinserts.gif

If it is bad enough I would cut the brackets off and rotate them. Or if these are cheap then just buy it and try them..Doesn't look like something I would use.

i had the same problem. you need to fix the caster by spending some money and getting longer upper and lower control arms. or atleast uppers if you already have lca's. thats what i did.

I have the RK X-Factor Long Arms. The Caster and Wheelbase aren't the problem. The angle of the bump stops is. The angles created when one side is at full stuff and the other is about 12" lower are pretty extreme. Since this is about the only time The bumps are needed, I need some that will work well at these angles.

if your that flexed out, and the coil spring is not falling out, you shoulndnt have any problems right. who welded your arms to the unibody. that will break first if you are dropping it too hard

The problem is not droop. The problem is my current bumpstops hit the coils because of the bumpstop towers angle. The Puck in the bottom also rubs the coils. I'm looking for a better option.

well since you have long arms there really is no soulution but to put rubber bump stops on the spring perch or limiting straps. as the long arms move down the wheel base actually gets shorter due to the radus of the arms, thus pulling the spring back. so i say get limiting straps and do the bump stop thing and see how it works. also try playing with the wheel base and find a "sweat spot" where the geometery is the same up and down.

I was thinking of trying this type of bumpstop but I had trouble finding them and just gave up. Now I am going to get them. I want to use them for driving off road at higher speeds than most people do. I think they will be really good for that. Sorry I cant help you out with your predicament. I think they will limit travel a bit and that may or may not be good. Good luck!

xray said:
I think they will limit travel a bit and that may or may not be good. Good luck!

Don't all bumpstops limit travel? I don't think I understand your comment.

Clarify?

can you get a pic of it when its flexed it see how bad it is, to me, it sound like the arms need to be adjusted, i had almost the same thing with my short arm setup.

passxj said:
Don't all bumpstops limit travel? I don't think I understand your comment.

Of course they do. Did you read the advertisement? It calls for them to be 2 to 3 inches shorter then the installed coils. I dont know how much they will compress concidering that they are poly. I think that you need something that will limit droop, not something that will limit how well they stuff. When I first saw these awhile ago they were used on off road racing trucks to help dampen compression. They dont have much to do with droop, but limiting straps do. I hope this clears up my original post. Good luck! And thanks for posting, like I said iwas looking for progressive bumpstops for awhile so I can drive like a wildman off road.

I run them and like them. Buy ones that are at least 2-3" longer than you think you need and then cut them down after some testing.

I removed the stock upper stop and I have nothing on the lower side either. I replaced the stock upper stop with a plate to keep the tower from going down the hole in the center of the prothane pieces.

Cracker posted some pics of his setup on the Socal forum recently. I'm running basically the same thing.

Some sources:
www.bajaconcepts.com
www.mad4wd.com

I installed them tonight and they are perfect. The front end is so quiet now. When I flex out the front end, I am amazed at how quiet it is. They do clunk a little when coming out of full articulation. They must grab on the spring a little. Mine are 10.5" and they are perfect with 35's and Bushwackers.

Just what I wanted! Thanks to all for the help with the research.

Hey post some pics I have a similar suspension RK LA's 7" 35's I would like to see pics of your setup. Do they feel softer than the stock ones? And what type of wheeling do you do?

I don't have RK Coils yet. My coils are Tomken 6" coils(90% sure).

Anyway........These are way softer than the extended stock bumpstops plus pucks on bottom. They also are progressive which helps because sometimes the front compresses too fast on fast stuff. I start hitting them about 1" down and they allow my tire to flex all the way into the fender 'til it starts hitting.

I wheel just about everything I can find. I dont really like mud anymore. It's a pain to clean up. I just did sand for the first time last weekend. Mostly rocks and mountain roads. I'm excited to hit some whoop-d-doos with the progressive bumps.

Some pics

2006_0307002.jpg

2006_0307001.jpg

passxj said:
The front end is so quiet now. When I flex out the front end, I am amazed at how quiet it is. They do clunk a little when coming out of full articulation. They must grab on the spring a little. Mine are 10.5" and they are perfect with 35's and Bushwackers.

Just read the whole thread.

Back