• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Lower control arm bushings?

jjmat3

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know what P/N from Napa or other aftermarket automotive vendor replaces them? I am guessing they are not a stock replacement P/N as I tried that and the stock replacements have too large of a shoulder on one side so they don't seat properly.
BTW, Pics attached of the problem I am encountering.
XJArm1.jpg

Also, What is the worn part in this pic called? Both of my lower control arms have the bushings shifted and that part worn. Should I bother replacing it?
LwrCtrlMt.jpg

jjmat3 said:
Thanks, Just got off the phone with RE. Bushings are on the way.

Now about that other part? What is it called? Dealer only? Junkyard? Don't worry about it?

Thanks!

castor adjuster....

gonna run drop brackets or radius arms anytime soon?
id replace it with a junkyard part...

Napa numbers NCP 267-1372 Small one
Ncp 267-3409 Large bottom one

They are stock bushings. Just use a grinder to take a little off the new bushing where it flares out. Use a press to drive it home.

They do use OEM bushings,you just need a press to get that "shoulder" in.Good sleeves(like Rocklogic and JKS) machine that step into sleeve!

RCP Phx said:
They do use OEM bushings,you just need a press to get that "shoulder" in.Good sleeves(like Rocklogic and JKS) machine that step into sleeve!

press? i used an 8 lb sledge...

RCP Phx said:

The shoulder on the bushings I got will not fit as they are same diameter as the end of the control arm.

XJ_ranger said:
gonna run drop brackets or radius arms anytime soon? id replace it with a junkyard part...

Maybe. I have them, just not sure I want to mess with a good thing. My XJ flexes and works great now. If I do should I replace it? If not, don't bother? Why do you ask?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Drop brackets eliminate the need for the castor adjustment plates. They will help smooth out your ride sice they will put all you suspension parallel and back to stock. I would run the drop brackets.

Yeah, it's a late reply but.... RE at least, calls the piece in question an alignment shoe. The shims aren't needed with the RE drop brackets, but they do reuse the 'shoe'.

:)

GirlScout1 said:
Drop brackets eliminate the need for the castor adjustment plates.

I had to put the plates back in on mine. After installing the drop brackets, my wheelbase was off 1/2" from one side to the other. Put the adjusters back in with about 1/2" of spacer behind one to straiten things out. I don't run adjustable lowers..

RCP Phx said:

The shoulder on the bushings I got from RE (same as the Carquest ones for stock) are larger than the hole they are supposed to fit into. A press isn't going to force these bushings and control arms together without something getting messed up. I'm at a loss. I'll have to post up a pic or something to show what I'm talking about. Maybe I just need a couple more rum & cokes?

jjmat3 said:
A press isn't going to force these bushings and control arms together without something getting messed up. ... Maybe I just need a couple more rum & cokes?

I like the way you troubleshoot.

jjmat3 said:
The shoulder on the bushings I got from RE (same as the Carquest ones for stock) are larger than the hole they are supposed to fit into. A press isn't going to force these bushings and control arms together without something getting messed up. I'm at a loss. I'll have to post up a pic or something to show what I'm talking about. Maybe I just need a couple more rum & cokes?
Ive replaced several sets,with a good press and some lube,no problems.

Well, the rum & coke helped me to decide to just go buy a 20 ton shop press. The bushings gave in after a couple cranks on that biatch. The right tool made all the difference in the world as usual. (DUH) And now I have another tool to show for it. Now what else can I crush with this thing? Hmmm....

Back