• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 4.0 Lifter

grundan

NAXJA Forum User
welp, I took the head off my xj over Christmas weekend. had to go buy the tool to get the lifters out. Pulled the lifters on the #1 cyl and they are both stuck. took the retainer out and pulled the lifter apart and cleaned it up some. put it back together and still stuck, put it in a bench vise and put a 1/4" lock nut in the lifter and (compressed) torqued it down a few times and finally got it freed up. no wonder this engine wasn't oiling on the top side.
guess I am going to buy some new lifters and give this thing another try.

anything you guys would recomend I do while the head is off?

grundan said:
welp, I took the head off my xj over Christmas weekend. had to go buy the tool to get the lifters out. Pulled the lifters on the #1 cyl and they are both stuck. took the retainer out and pulled the lifter apart and cleaned it up some. put it back together and still stuck, put it in a bench vise and put a 1/4" lock nut in the lifter and (compressed) torqued it down a few times and finally got it freed up. no wonder this engine wasn't oiling on the top side.
guess I am going to buy some new lifters and give this thing another try.

anything you guys would recomend I do while the head is off?

Valve job?

Have it sent out to be cleaned and checked for straightness. Might as well you have it out.

:huh:

I'd blow your oil and cooling passages out with compressed air to make sure no debris is obstructing them, making sure that same debris does'nt settle in any crevices on the topside and wind up in another lifter!.

If minimal work and expense is the idea, better to carefully decarbon the combustion chamber with a chisel shaped piece of hardwood.
And i mean carefully, old exhaust valves can be brittle.

thanks, I am for sure gonna either clean it myself or get it cleaned and get the gunk off it. wish I had the the $$ for a complete rebuild, not in the budget this quarter..
I have read stories of people rebuilding the head and then something on the bottom side blows..?
may as well put new injectors in also, couple of em was leaking anyways.

Back