• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finished most of my comanche suspension

Alex

NAXJA Forum User
Well my little side project AND daily driver while my YJ is being built back up has gotten her rear end swapped, brake lines made, and suspension finished.

The 87 comanche is now currently sitting 8 inches up with 6 inch coils, 2 in spacers, spring over in the rear and 2 inch blocks. This is a daily driver and a street truck and the ocasional go pull someone out truck. It is also a work truck.

Guy i met sold it to me for 600 bucks, and 100 bucks more i got a another engine, transmission, transfer case, rear end, body panels, lights, tool box, interior, and the whole deal. I have dumped about 500 bucks in addition into it for music, ride quality, running quality, and just cleaning it up. Swapped on some rims and tires i had laying around( which are real nice!) and shes all ready to go.

I have to say im real proud to be riding in something most regulars dont know about and most people cant say they have. Enjoy my pictures. Just did a paint job on it, which i dont have pics of yet, but i will get them up soon. I also need advice on a hi-steer setup. I heard a lot of rustys stuff isnt the best out there....Correct that comment if it is wrong. Also i was looking at rockcrawler long arms for the front. I got a rustys adjustable trackbar for sale...custom up to 9 inches if anyone wants it...

DSCF0071.jpg

DSCF0072.jpg

DSCF0073.jpg

DSCF0074.jpg

1bdmanche should be my name

-Alex

bad ass. I need to come up with the dough to do my MJ like that.
What extra tranny did you get? BA10 or AX-15

looks good, but the front axle needs to move forward about 2"

I hate you south people! My 99 has more rust than that! Nice job, i cant find one of those in NY without the bed rotted less than a foot over the wheel wells

GusDaDog said:
I dig it... you need to get the "SporTruck" decal for it though :)

hAHA YEAuppers, thanks

87manche said:
bad ass. I need to come up with the dough to do my MJ like that.
What extra tranny did you get? BA10 or AX-15

I got an extra AX15 bolted to a tcase.

shelbyluvv said:
looks good, but the front axle needs to move forward about 2"

Yea, i know...its not a big deal right now...but im waiting to find a decent long arm...looking at rockrawler. Im too busy with my YJ....this mj can wait. Thanks for the comment.

What long arms should i go with...

PS, someone pmed me about the trackbar, i tried pming you but it said i couldnt. PM me your email or allow your inbox to receive messages...I'll give you a price shipped, details, and a pic.

-Alex

if your not going to make your own long arms then buy claytons. the arms alone are 799. lifetime warantee... or however you spell it. you suck so much balls for getting this whole thing for so cheap and including an ax15. i hate you. and do yourself a favor and ditch the blocks and shackle lift it. blocks destroy your trucks credibility. your truck is just cool when it could be awsome. and yeah make sure that front axle is done right lol. do u have the stock arms in it just for now? lol looks like it. and sell the yj. YJs cant hold a candle up to an MJ. look at that thing. you can never make a yj look anywhere near as sweet as an MJ

Last edited by a moderator:
I really gotta get pics of my mj up I have the same lift set up, but I am running 35's and re arms, I have really been thinking of ditching my blocks but don't know to substitute to make up the 2 inches. I thought about AAL's but I am not sure If that would take away to much flex and roadability.

yea i just hate dickin around with shackle lifts. ive twisted em before and i dont think they can withstand much. that applies much more to front shackles though. The YJ has yet to be dropped in a 4.6 stoker from titan engines up in ocala florida, 14 bolt rear, and i have to decide on a 10 bolt front or a full width d44 or that. Both are locked with detroit lockers, a tf999 transmission which is bolted to a 231. If i do go with the 10 bolt front, i have a divorce tcase for it. RE 1.5 inch lift springs and 37 inch interco tsls. I love my comanche and i love my YJ. I gotta have both. Im lucky enough to have started jeepin at 16 and i try to keep the addiction at a minimum so i can stash some money away in the savings. on the comanche, I do have aftermarket control arms on it that were said to go up to 9 inches of lift. This is not so....obviously. I think i will stick with clayton. I have most of the steering custom and converted from a YJ(i dont know what it is with me and YJs.) I am looking for a high steer version that i can use because my steering setup now is terrible. I went from 30 inch tires to the spares 33s i had laying around with the mock beadlocks. i now have a wobble in the steering...I think its worn rod ends and a few other problems....Just gotta start checking it out.

Any advice for highsteer setups?

-Alex

not really a high steer unit but I was looking at the u-turn sterrring from Off road unlimited I think. There is a write up on jeepin.com it looks like a good set up and haven't heard any complaints.

make your own high steer. on the d30 i think there are clearance issues with the track bar and the sway bar mounts. you can mod it to make it work. it looks like you have cross over steering on it now, so you can keep your current drag link and tie rod.

Yea, i had to deal with those mounts when i lifted it again...i hacked em...How can i make the hi steer. flip the tie rod to the other side of the knuckle and flop the drag link into the opposite side? im not familiar with high steer...

Alex said:
got an extra AX15 bolted to a tcase.
Sweet, I'm in the midst of trying to find one to replace my balky one. They're a bit difficult to find round here.

i cant find one of those in NY without the bed rotted less than a foot over the wheel wells

Is there a market for used MJ beds?

I'm about to truggy mine and I was wondering what to do with bed. It perfectly straight, rust free, has a full carpet kit, tonneau cover, and a new rear bumper.

This is NOT a sale ad......... I just asking what its value may be.

u have to be familiar with high steer before you can think about it. first you have to know what cross over steering is (best for high steer). cross over is aranging the drag link from the pitman arm to the pass side knuckle mounted above the tie rod. and the tie rod goes from one knuckle to the other. converting to high steer would mount thoes links on top of the knuckles instead of on the bottom like the dana 30. all you have to do is mod the knuckles to put mounts on them for the links. but you can get bump steer bad if your track bar and drag link arent at the same angle. look at the D30 steering tech sticky at the top of the modified forum

I'd go TNT LAs, there is a write up in the last few months of JP where they installed TNT LAs on their red MJ.

yea believe me, i have bumpsteer...but i didnt have it before on the 30s that were on there...i highly doubt the tires are worn uneven....considering they were fine before on my other jeep....What could be the reason? I was looking at the teraflex knuckles with the 1 ton tie rod, drag link, and rod ends. It totalled up to 538 bucks or something from windrock offroad. I thought to myself, surely i can figure out my own design...but then again, i know more about the suspension aspect of lifts, rather than steering geometry...Maybe itd be better if i went ahead with a kit...BTW i heard rustys steering kit is S*H*I*T. what do you think...

I saw that article with the red mj btw...i'll look into tnt as well.

PS, i know of an mj down here for sale...300 bucks, d44 rear...100% stock. i also have parts from an entire long bed comanche if anyone needs anything.

-alex

Back