• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OD grinding noise

53guy

NAXJA Forum User
I just recently regeared my 99xj to 4.56:1 and now in over drive, around 35-45mph I hear this grinding noise, like if you were to trying to move forward with a manual in 3rd gear from a stop. My rpm's are between 1200-1800rpms between 35-45mph and I was wondering what could cause this? Is this noise something I should worry about? I read about the drive plate (the flywheel or whatever it is called) bolts coming loose and the plate cracking and I checked that. Bolts are tight and the plate isn't loose or cracked. If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it, the noise is starting to worry me. BTW, I have a 4.0L, AW-4, 4.56gears, tom woods driveshaft (with the correct angle, no, its not vibes), and 35x12.50BFG muds (so like 34.7 or something). Thanks

Ive never had any "fun" doing Chryco gears.It sounds like the pinion pre-load may have backed off or wasnt correct to begin with.Did you set-up the pre-load with the seal in place?Also did you check the "run-out" on the ring gear?What were youre final set-up specs?Got any pics of the pattern?

no, lol. I paid to have my gears done, so i have no idea what they did or anything. they opperate fine and it seems to be an rpm related thing, because it only does it when i am applying the gas. I assume the guy did a good job because he has been doing jeep gears since the 70's and when i changed the oil, the pattern was worn almost perfect on the drive and coast sides. So i donno...

Back