• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

inner fender after trimming

I just tossed mine though you will want to look up into your fender wells real good. I know in mine (98) I had a couple sheet metal screws coming from the inside that would do some serious shredding on a tire. I just took a cutoff wheel to them and cut them down.

yep...X2
norcal420 said:
I tossed 'em, but if you want to keep mud out of the gap left behind use pool noodles.

DR

What about those in the rear? I had to take my stock flares off and ended up only getting one liner back on due to time. I haven't noticed a problem yet, but will it become one?

Tossed 'em.

Goatman said:
Tossed 'em.
Thank you. After trimming the rear (just radial cuts, folded back, no spot welds cut), is anything opened up like in the front? I assume not, because I read every thread that comes up about trimming and haven't seen anything about it.

You put the noodles... in the rear... of the front fenders. This will keep mud and water out of the door hinges. If you don't do this after scrapping the inner fender plastic, you'll end up with grinding squeeky front doors.

120664951205_0_ALB.jpg

This is the rear of the front fenders. Cut a pool noodle exactly in half. a half of one per side. You just shuv them up in there, and that's it. i check them every once in a while, but they always seem to stay put. They also will push the fender out too. This is an added benefit, as trimming all that sheet metal out, makes them move in a bit in the rear of the fender (sic.). Notice that the inner fender seem is also cut and folded up out of the way. The XJ's are flexy, and will eat tires without propper trimming.

P.S. You don't have to use a "PINK" noodle. I just happen to have three girls at home, so just about everything that isn't mine, is PINK!

Last edited:
In the rear, if you cut above the welded seem (as when you put the flars half on the door, and half on the quarter, you'll be on the inside of the XJ. Take the rear plastic off of the inside. On the outside cut the inside lip between the outside of fender, and the inside curved fender. Hammer the inner well up. Then make the radial cits (I did pie shaped wedge cuts), then fold everything up to your marked fender line. Use a perm. marker with your fender flare, and mark the inside of the bottom of flare. Then take it off, the flare, and do the work. I used rivits to tie everything back together, as this will tighten the rear quarters back up. The rear fenders are part of the structure for the XJ. You'll notice that some haven't cut and welded or rivited, will have creases below the rear windows (some get this from heavy rock crawlin' with out even trimming). I used outside window sealer on the inside of the fender after I finished. this is about a 3" wide tar tape that seals windows used in new house construstion. Then under coat, and use expandable sealer, and undercoatting on the inside as well.

th_450774951205_0_ALB.jpg

738494951205_0_ALB.jpg

649205951205_0_ALB.jpg

279205951205_0_ALB.jpg

940815951205_0_ALB.jpg

131971531205_0_ALB.jpg

Back