• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

On a roll, but need help!! Fixing rear defrost

jeepboy381

NAXJA Forum User
Alright..... so far tonight I have fixed my blower motor problem, my rear wiper motor, my rear wiper solenoid, the little lights behind the dash that burnt out, the passenger side plastic thing on the step, and made my lights work once again. Now I am trying to make the rear window defrost work again. The switch is fine and the Fuse; I can't see anything that could be causing it not to work. Is there a solenoid anywhere or something else, I have no wiring diagrams to to look at. It is cold and I need to defrost!!! Please Help!!!!

I've only had mine mess up once, the inside cover for the rear hatch was loose and rubbed through the cable near the heating element. I soldered it back together. I noticed when I removed the rear hatch cover to work on the speakers once. The grounds for the the rear hatch area are often a problem. The rear wiper, dome light switch and central lock mech. ground wires on mine were pretty corroded.
The rear window element is on some kind of timed relay circuit, but I'll be darned if I know where the solid state relay for it is.

That could very well be the problem, I will check the wires back there where they go into the body. One more thing, My head lights used to stay on for a minute if I turned them off after the Jeep was off. They don't do that anymore.... any ideas?

jeepboy381 said:
That could very well be the problem, I will check the wires back there where they go into the body. One more thing, My head lights used to stay on for a minute if I turned them off after the Jeep was off. They don't do that anymore.... any ideas?
My rear element wire broke right where it went from the element and under the plastic hatch cover. Pretty close to the element itself.
The switch gets it's power from the turn signal fuse, the solid state relay from the heated window fuse. The heated window fuse is on a fusible link. Might want to volt test the fuse and see if the fusible link is toast.

jeepboy381 said:
Any idea where the solenoid is for the rear defrost, I think that is what's wrong.
The relay is under the dash, in the little tray thing that takes several relays and is screwed to the knee blocker. When I installed a rear demist it was pretty simple - 2 connections on either side of the rear windscreen (like audio plugs), the dash switch and the relay.

Back