• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

free 31s, get 'em or wait?

What would you do?

• put the 31's on now at 2"

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • wait until the lift is at 3"+

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters

DDCxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '91 Xj with a 2" lift and 235's right now. I was planning on waiting until I had the money to go up another inch or two before getting 31s since I know they would fit much better. I am not discoed yet and the Jeep is on the street 95% of the time.

I can get a set of 31s for free this week or next. It will be a lot of work to get them but probably worth it. I'm going to have to get them off a junker, put them on my Jeep, and take the ones from my Jeep currently and put them on my moms Exploder.

So, at 2" would you take the tires or wait until the money is there to lift another couple of inches? Will that extra inch of lift make that big of a difference? By the way, I am not willing to do any trimming yet. Also, I wouldn't be getting disonnects until I lift more if I got the 31s since trimming isn't an option for me right now.

If nothing else, get them and sit on them for a while until you are ready (if you can wait).

I know I'm at 3" and 31s and without trimming, I rubbed on the front of the rocker panel while turning (fixed with trimming) and you will rub the control arm like a mother unless you fix your steering stops or have aftermarket LCAs.

All of this will happen with your swaybar connected and driving in the parking lot.

I won't even get into the rubbing while flexed up. A grinder and a hammer fixed that. :wave:

HTH

get em, put em on, and don't flex much till you get lift. i can stuff my 31's all the way into the wheel well on
.DSC_0134.jpg

.DSC_0135.jpg

31x10.5 on 4.5in RE superflex lift...^

below is same tire on a 2in budget boost with blocks and aal + trimming...
.DSC_0044.jpg

you will be tight but it will work as long as you keep off the big stuff.

With 3 inches and 31's you will rub the lower contol arm at full lock and just rub the front flare at full flex with the sway bar unhooked. But with the money you will save by getting the 31's for free man i couldn't pass that up. If your really woried about rubbing off road save them for when you get the bigger lift.

Off topic alert! But, could you post a pic of your 2" with 235s? Im thinking of going with that setup for mild trail playing, mines a DD so I really dont want much, just a little soemthing.

Thanx,
Andrew

mudruck

what rear bumper is that? it looks pretty sweet, and matches the body lines really well. Also, can you get a tire carrier for it.

Sorry to hijack

NCCherokee said:
mudruck

what rear bumper is that? it looks pretty sweet, and matches the body lines really well. Also, can you get a tire carrier for it.

Sorry to hijack

that is a one of a kind cut and weld it out of steel bumper...
Jon (muddgp on naxja) made that. on the gray one.
and yes it is very nice.

MyJeepXJ said:
Off topic alert! But, could you post a pic of your 2" with 235s? Im thinking of going with that setup for mild trail playing, mines a DD so I really dont want much, just a little soemthing.

Thanx,
Andrew

http://worldisround.com/articles/60678/photo12.html

http://worldisround.com/articles/60678/photo7.html <That one just has 2" in the front, I hadn't done the back yet.

I just realized that I can test fit the 31s without putting them on my rims. They're coming off of an older explorer, I think a '94, which has the same lug pattern. So I'll just throw the wheels and tires from that on my Jeep before I make my decision. I'll just flex the Jeep on the flatbed to see where they hit and tow the junker on its axles.

Sorry guys, I was thinking a little slow this morning.

If I have to trim the bottom of the flares a little then I will. I just dont want to be trimming the fenders on my one and only DD living up here in the salt belt. I'm already gonna have to replace a door next year before I get it inspected because it will most likely have a whole that is too big to pass.

why the hell would anyone pass on free tires??

Dookie said:
why the hell would anyone pass on free tires??

If I don't put them on my Jeep then they are going on my mothers Explorer, so either way they are going to get used.

My Jeep wont be lifted any more than it is for a few years though. So even if they werent going on my mothers Explorer, my dad wouldn't tolerate a set of tires rotting out in the yard for that long.

I believe the stock Explorer wheels have a bit less backspacing so they might not rub on your LCAs like they would on stock Jeep wheels. I had 31x10.50s on a 2"BB and with minor trimming and proper bumpstops, they didn't rub at all! They were on aftermarket rims though (came off a Bronco II in junkyard, no clue on BS.)
I also have friends that have put them on with no lift, they just had to trim more.
For the price...go for it!

Snag 'em, extend your bumpstops and trim lightly.
My '99 with stock wheels only rub's "VERY lightly" on the lower c-arms, on the back it will grab the lower corners of the flairs ( i need to extend the stops more than i did) but I dont wheel it hard with the 31's on it.
If i "KNOW" i will need the room for flex, i switch the wheels/tires with my '91, its got 30's.

just a heads up - jeep wheels have a hole for the hub that is too small for a ford explorer if memory serves - either that or it was the other way around...

XJ_ranger said:
just a heads up - jeep wheels have a hole for the hub that is too small for a ford explorer if memory serves - either that or it was the other way around...

Thanks, now I'll know why they don't sit right. If it is that way, it wont matter, my wheels aren't going on the explorer. I'll have it on the flatbed so I'll just tow it to the boneyard on the axles and shake it off. It doesn't need to roll.

We'll see how it works out. I didn't really want to trim anything but I guess some minimal trimming will be okay. IF it doesn't work out, my moms stock Ford Exploder will have bigger tires than my Jeep. :bawl:

DDCxj said:
I'm going to have to get them off a junker, put them on my Jeep, and take the ones from my Jeep currently and put them on my moms Exploder.

at the cheapest tire place in my town it cost

$5 to dismount a tire

$12 to mount and balance a tire

:rattle:

not Free :exclamati

VegasAnthony said:
at the cheapest tire place in my town it cost

$5 to dismount a tire

$12 to mount and balance a tire

:rattle:

not Free :exclamati

I work at a repair shop/tow company. The only thing I pay for is parts, and thats at the shops cost.

I towed the junker explorer in on the 4th of July right before the parade because it was parked on the parade route, actually more like abandoned. The owner wouldn't return any of my bosses calls or letters and the total for the tow and storage exceeded what the car is worth so he applied for the title so he could get it out of there. It just happened to work out because my mom needs new tires pretty bad and the tires on the junker are still have about 85-90% tread left.

I might even rip the 8.8 out of it, but thats only if I'm really ambitious.

Dirk Pitt said:
If nothing else, get them and sit on them for a while until you are ready (if you can wait).

WAIT? Oh yeah, that'll happen.

:laugh3:

XJ_ranger said:

Im pretty sure it's the other way around, because i put ford wheels on mine before i got my new rims and i had to bore out the center hole a bit to make fit properly. But i could be wrong.

And as for the tires.....I havent read the whole thread so you've probly already made your decision...But if you havent already...Get them!

Back