• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch question....

Jeffro600

NAXJA Forum User
On my 93 XJ, it looks to me like the clutch slave cylinder and the throw-out bearing are one assembly...now, if i buy a clutch kit, does that come with a throw-out bearing also, or do i need to buy the entire slave cylinder...or can the two be taken apart? Im used to external slave cylinders so this is an odd design to me. Ive also been told that some clutch kits come with the slave cylinder/throw-out bearing in one...can anyone identify the kits that come like that?

Also, when the clutch pedal is out, im getting a "whirring" noise...when you push the pedal in, it goes away...im assuming this is the throw-out bearing that im hearing?

Jeffro600 said:
On my 93 XJ, it looks to me like the clutch slave cylinder and the throw-out bearing are one assembly...now, if i buy a clutch kit, does that come with a throw-out bearing also, or do i need to buy the entire slave cylinder...or can the two be taken apart? Im used to external slave cylinders so this is an odd design to me. Ive also been told that some clutch kits come with the slave cylinder/throw-out bearing in one...can anyone identify the kits that come like that?

Also, when the clutch pedal is out, im getting a "whirring" noise...when you push the pedal in, it goes away...im assuming this is the throw-out bearing that im hearing?
Your 93 has a combined slave cylinder/throwout bearing.

I have no idea what kits include what. Aftermarket clutch hydraulics for the Cherokee have not received good reports on here at all. Go Mopar or don't go. I faced this decision when my throwout bearing finally went bad. It "only" had 204,000 miles on it. I kept reading about people buying them from Auto Zone or Parts America or Quadratec, and 6 months or less later they had to do it again. That's not fun when you have to drop the transfer case and tranny just to access the slave cylinder.

So I mentioned this one Saturday at breakfast with my friend who is a retired Jeep service manager. And he astutely asked just how many miles my original factory clutch had lasted. "204,000, plus or minus," was the answer.

So his response was "Then why would you consider using anything else to replace it?"

Good question.

I don't recall the brand I last used (it was definitely aftermarket - got it at my local) but I specifically asked for a kit that included the internal slave.

It's been in service for the last 70K or so, without any trouble. I would definitely replace the slave every time I change the clutch, just because the thing is a pain to get to (I have the Peugeot in an 88.)

I have to admit I'm starting to lose my clutch, but I'm probably a more aggressive driver than our feathered friend, and I'm also starting to lose the Peugeot (which means I spend more time "feathering" my clutch rather than going right for the lockup - which also accelerates wear.) I've always seemed to average 80-100K on a clutch - which I attribute to driving style rather than the clutch.

And, it sounds to me like youre release bearing is starting to go - to which you correctly attribute the noise you're getting.

If you've got a good local, they can find it for you. If you want to go with the OEMR parts, that's fine too (but you'll probably have to buy everything separately - they're funny that way.) I can't give you an estimate on an OEMR clutch - since I've never bought one. And, the aftermarket that I'd gotten is far enough back that I've forgotten what I paid for it as well (but I remember it being quite reasonable.)

5-90

Back