• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big tcase drop issues!!!@#@!$#$ HELP ME!!!!

cherokeevince12

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently attempting to finish my tcase drop for a 3 inch lift. I got the first side off pretty easily and got the stud out with no issues. But when I put the new drop spacer in and tightened the bolts I was an idiot forgot my torque wrench and overtightened one of the bolts and stripped the threading, the bolt is not stripped its the hole that it goes into, so my first question is, what do Ineed all four bolts to hold my t case secure??? My second question is, on my opposite side I attempted to remove the other stud but was unsuccessfull, so I attempted multiple times with channel locks and all I managed to do is take off all the threading on it. So basically i have a piece of smooth metal that I need to clamp and unscrew from my frame, someone told me that if you heat the bolt it will work, does anyone know how to remove these things?

I ground my studs down on two opposite sides to create a surface to grip with vise grips and it came out no problem. As far as the stripped out bolt hole goes your best bet is probably to drill it out, retap the hole and use a larger bolt. Three bolts should be fine on the street but I wouldnt take it off road till you get another bolt in there.

For removing them, step up and by a good stud remover. There not cheap but you should never pass up the chance to by more tools.

After you get them out you can drill them out and put in bigger bolts. I'm running 1/2" NC flange head bolts on my crossmember. I have a custom longarm and needed the bigger bolts, but anyway i found out you can go bigger with no problems.

Dingo

i stripped out one of mine and now have a helicoil in there holding my t-case crossmemeber...

i wouldnt drive far on only 3 bolts...

if the one that is on its own should fail, then you loose your driveline...

and from the sounds of it, you only have one bolt on each side right now - dont drive anywhere...

Re: `g tcas drop iCpuer!!! @!$#$ @LP ME! !

I had (similar problem I striped out 2 of the holes and broke the welded nut tee on de hnsi` of th&frame Bbil. I Eped the0 availdle access holes in the floor of the jeep. And I ended up drilling `ll he hole(out an using ƒ`me new@arade 8`olts. `ar a PPA though but it aint going any where.

1 lift up the carpet on that side
2 get a longer bolt and nut to fit it
3 take out the two drian plugs right above the crossmember bolt holes
4 put longer bolt in and tape the nut in a socket so it doesn't fall out and put it down the drain plug and tighten
all my stock holes were trashed and since i took the carpet out years ago this was the best most reliable fix.

I rented stud extractors from autozone. They did the job OK. But before you go spend any money I would try using a pipe wrench. I tried on one of mine, worked GREAT. As for the stipped nut. Drill and retap.

Back