• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Checking for keyless

krackerjack87

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 2000 Cherokee Classic with power locks, and it has an overhead console with the trip deal, dome lights, etc. I have heard that most newer vehicles have the capability from factory if they have power locks. How do I check if I that capability? I don't have time to take it to a dealer right now. I was wanting to just buy a jeep remote and have it programmed. How do I check myself? I tried searching but didn't really find a clear answer. Thanks.

Each vehicle has it's own uniqure frequency or variant of one but for some reason some Chrysler remotes will set stuff off on Volkswagens I've noticed.

Look for an antenna in one of the back side windows or look for a little black round shaped object near the windshield on the passenger side about as big as a pencil eraser.

On a 2000 XJ most of them have Keyless entry. The keyless entry modual is located in the overhead console behind the sun glass holder. If you want to see if you have it just take down the console and look for the board. I got two remotes on ebay and got them programmed at the dealer. They worked great.

Where do you look on a 98 with no overhead? I checked in the dome light, and didn't see anything, and there's nothing between the visors...am I out of luck?

The keyless on a 98 XJ is the board located in the dome light. If it is not there then your 98 does not have keyless entry. Also check to see if there is an extra wire not pluged in up there. Maybe you can add the keyless board.
Alex.

XJDomeLightWithKeylessEntry.jpg

Last edited:
2000XJSPORT said:
The keyless on a 98 XJ is the board located in the dome light. If it is not there then your 98 does not have keyless entry. Also check to see if there is an extra wire not pluged in up there. Maybe you can add the keyless board.
Alex.

XJDomeLightWithKeylessEntry.jpg

can you explain how you removed the dome light? i dont wanna break it

Thanks

Back