• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil spring compressors?

Coil spring compressors really arent that great. In my opinion go to autozone and rent a STRUT spring compressor. Much safer and much easier to use considering they sit on the outside of the spring and not the inside.

I use the Mc Phearson Strut type, although scary everytime, they do work..

Just used a set of mcpherson strut compressors on a TJ couple weeks ago, double hooks, one on each side of the spring. Felt bit dicy picking up the compressed spring and putting it in. After doing both using a wratchet box wrench I discovered they had a 1/2 sized hole for a 1/2 wratchet or impact gun, sheesh...used that feature an hour later when we had to pull the rear springs back off to bolt and weld the trackbar relocation bracket on the TJ's D44.
Still don't like them but with the double hooks I felt a bit more secure handling that loaded spring. Don't know if it makes any difference but these were from Mac or Matco, one of those tool trucks anyway.
Just did them equally on both sides when tightening them up and kept them opposed to each other, same with removal.

Pogiboy said:
Coil spring compressors really arent that great. In my opinion go to autozone and rent a STRUT spring compressor. Much safer and much easier to use considering they sit on the outside of the spring and not the inside.

agreed, however they can be very dangerous. ever since the last time and both of the compressors slipped over to one side making for an extremely bowed coil and scary situation. i'm just gonna be unbolting the track bar and lca. hell its easier faster really if you have to take the time to go and rent a compressor, not to mention a lot safer.

I know this probably isn't the BEST idea for compressing springs, but when I needed more play in the axle *being able to move up and down under my own strength* I used some ratches straps to compress my springs. I used two on opposite sides of eachother, and it was 10x faster than using a compressor. Again, I don't recommendit, but if you're in a bind, it's definately an option.

xjj33p3r said:
I know this probably isn't the BEST idea for compressing springs, but when I needed more play in the axle *being able to move up and down under my own strength* I used some ratches straps to compress my springs. I used two on opposite sides of eachother, and it was 10x faster than using a compressor. Again, I don't recommendit, but if you're in a bind, it's definately an option.

I've done this before. not the safest, but works. I used straps rated for 10,000 lbs though.

I usually just unbolt the shocks and lower arms. works fine for my 5.5 coils and 2" spacers.

I've used the outer strut style compressors with the double hook a few times (I own a set) and have not had any close calls but that being said next time I'm unbolting the tracbar and LCAs.

I take a different tact on springs. I drop the shocks and swaybar. I take an XJ jack and set it upside down between the axle and the "frame" I can jack the axle down far enough to slipout the old spring and slip the new one in. Last time I swapped springs it was a 30 minute job.

Oh, it helps if you have long brake lines :laugh3:

The handiest tool for suspension work is a 4 ton portapower cheap HF unit on sale for $59. It sure beats everything else for aligning things back up when swapping suspension parts. No more comealongs warpped around everything in site trying to pull things to the point where you can start a bolt throught the hole.

old_man said:
I take a different tact on springs. I drop the shocks and swaybar. I take an XJ jack and set it upside down between the axle and the "frame" I can jack the axle down far enough to slipout the old spring and slip the new one in. Last time I swapped springs it was a 30 minute job.

The handiest tool for suspension work is a 4 ton portapower cheap HF unit on sale for $59. It sure beats everything else for aligning things back up when swapping suspension parts. No more comealongs warpped around everything in site trying to pull things to the point where you can start a bolt throught the hole.

I use the jack trick too. When I did myfront axle swap I tried to get it lined up with a comealong attached to hitch on my dead f150 and allmost pulled my XJ off the jack stands LOL. I'll keep that portapower in mind.

old_man said:

Thats mainly what I do. I don't mess with those compressers at all. Just don't like them. I have seen a few shoot loose.

old_man said:

even better is a 300# friend and tell him to push it that way, has worked everytime :D

Sears has a decent set for like 40 or 50 bucks. I've used mine a bunch, from Jeeps to Hondas. Although, as with all these compressors, they are pretty much disposable. Mine are about done. I wouldn't expect much more then 10 uses out of them before they start to bend and get weak. Some people may think that is dumb, but I'd rather spend another 50 bucks then have one of the rods snap or strip while I have that 8" lift coils fully compressed.

If you are just getting them for yourself and your Jeep you probably won't use them that much that you have to worry about the wear and tear.

I'm trying to install my RK 4.5" springs using a strut compressor. After compressing them about 3 inches, I wimped out and stopped. It freaks me out that I have to handle it and maneuver it around the bumpstop protrusion. Is it safe to compress them until the coils are touching each other?

Geeze, you all are going about this all wrong...

DSC00592.JPG

dothedew24_7 said:
Geeze, you all are going about this all wrong...

DSC00592.JPG
now that is scary

That does look scary. After looking at that, I guess fully compressing my 4.5" springs so the coils are touching is OK to do with a strut compressor....?

Back