• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear suspension advice

semisynth

NAXJA Forum User
I just swapped my 4.10 geared d30 into the front and am finishing the rear non c-clip d35 w/ ford crown vic discs to swap in the rear and am trying to figure out the my best route for my rear suspension. Currently I have a 3” rustys aal in my stock pack that has started to sag after about a year and a half. I picked up some junkyard '95 XJ packs to use the main leafs as reinforcements and have prepped the them for installation (cut off eyes, rounded ends, ground off rust) from what I understand they should net about 1” added to the stock packs. I have also bought some overload springs from rustys that are claimed to add 1” of lift (didn't get them for lift but to keep my rear end from sagging when fully loaded and/or towing my utility trailer). These are supposed to be just like the overloads in a MJ or s10 pack so I'm not expecting a full inch more like ½- ¾. I will be ditching the stock XJ overloads, so maybe even less? My problem is that I'm not sure the best way to get about 3”-3.5” of lift loaded. I don't want the ride to be overly stiff but I do want it stiffer than stock. I really liked the ride when I added the aal (after they settled in) it was close to perfect for my tastes and it flexed pretty good. What i'm looking for is advice on how to build my packs. Here are the parts I have available:
3” rustys aals (slightly sagging, full length)
2” rustys aals (new, full length)
rustys overloads
extra set of stock XJ leafs
I'm definitely using the extra XJ main leafs and the overloads but I'm torn between using the new 2” aals or the slightly sagged 3” aals and not sure if i should ditch any more leafs from my stock packs. What do you XJ gurus think?

Oh and does anybody know of a place online where I can get some full length poly leafspring liners? I tried the only spring shop listed in my yellowpages but they where no help at all.

Last edited:
only advice that is valid here is take a weekend, and get really good at taking leaf packs apart and putting them together...

mix and match leaves will you get something that you like and then run that...

there is a real good thread on here called "suspention tuneing" and the thread creator is LBEXJ

remember to drive on the leaves for a little while to see them soften up and change ride height ( a little) before you give up...

it would be nice to build the pack, drive over some speed bumps, up a loading dock curb with both sides, and then back to the house and get a feel on the ride back to the house for what that setup does for you...

Thicker, shorter leaves are known to flex less than Longer thinner leaves...

semisynth said:
I just swapped my 4.10 geared d30 into the front and am finishing the rear non c-clip d35 w/ ford crown vic discs to swap in the rear and am trying to figure out the my best route for my rear suspension. Currently I have a 3” rustys aal in my stock pack that has started to sag after about a year and a half. I picked up some junkyard '95 XJ packs to use the main leafs as reinforcements and have prepped the them for installation (cut off eyes, rounded ends, ground off rust) from what I understand they should net about 1” added to the stock packs. I have also bought some overload springs from rustys that are claimed to add 1” of lift (didn't get them for lift but to keep my rear end from sagging when fully loaded and/or towing my utility trailer). These are supposed to be just like the overloads in a MJ or s10 pack so I'm not expecting a full inch more like ½- ¾. I will be ditching the stock XJ overloads, so maybe even less? My problem is that I'm not sure the best way to get about 3”-3.5” of lift loaded. I don't want the ride to be overly stiff but I do want it stiffer than stock. I really liked the ride when I added the aal (after they settled in) it was close to perfect for my tastes and it flexed pretty good. What i'm looking for is advice on how to build my packs. Here are the parts I have available:
3” rustys aals (slightly sagging, full length)
2” rustys aals (new, full length)
rustys overloads
extra set of stock XJ leafs
I'm definitely using the extra XJ main leafs and the overloads but I'm torn between using the new 2” aals or the slightly sagged 3” aals and not sure if i should ditch any more leafs from my stock packs. What do you XJ gurus think?

Oh and does anybody know of a place online where I can get some full length poly leafspring liners? I tried the only spring shop listed in my yellowpages but they where no help at all.
You're swapping IN a D35?

Thanks XJ_ranger for the ONTOPIC reply thats what I'll have to do.
Okie Terry,
yep for the 4.10s can't afford an XJ D44 now (I have no interest in a Ford 8.8) It makes a hell of alot more sense than regearing the 35 thats on it now. For the mild to moderate wheeling I do on 31s the non c-clip D35 will be fine until I can afford to build up a 44 and at least if I break a shaft I can still drive it a ways. That 35 only cost me $100 (considering I'll probably get about $100 out of my old 35 makes it basically free) a 4.10 geared XJ 44 would cost up to 8x that (assuming I would have to buy gears and have them setup) The ford discs I'm using will swap over to the 44 so there's no wasted time or money there. I was going to redo the rear suspension anyway and it's not much more work to swap another axle in when the leafs are already unbolted. So whats your point. I don't understand why people feel compelled to post on a thread when they have nothing useful to add to the discussion.

semisynth said:
Thanks XJ_ranger for the ONTOPIC reply thats what I'll have to do.
Okie Terry,
yep for the 4.10s can't afford an XJ D44 now (I have no interest in a Ford 8.8) It makes a hell of alot more sense than regearing the 35 thats on it now. For the mild to moderate wheeling I do on 31s the non c-clip D35 will be fine until I can afford to build up a 44 and at least if I break a shaft I can still drive it a ways. That 35 only cost me $100 (considering I'll probably get about $100 out of my old 35 makes it basically free) a 4.10 geared XJ 44 would cost up to 8x that (assuming I would have to buy gears and have them setup) The ford discs I'm using will swap over to the 44 so there's no wasted time or money there. I was going to redo the rear suspension anyway and it's not much more work to swap another axle in when the leafs are already unbolted. So whats your point. I don't understand why people feel compelled to post on a thread when they have nothing useful to add to the discussion.
Then why did you answer?

FYI - i sold my D35 shafts on e-bay for 80 + 25 shipping...

ive heard that the non-c-clip 35's are stronger, as to if this is true or not - i dont know...

shafts are deffinitely not easy to find for them though...

oh- look for a thread called "bastard leaf pack" as well - that ought to be helpful...

XJ_ranger I checked out your website. Nice work.
I've heard the non c-clip 35 is stronger too. My guess is that it is but probably not by much. If money is still as tight next year I might polish the turdy-five with a truss, traction bar and a traclock to hold me over till I can get a 44 with a trutrac. I would really like to get a trutrac for the front too.
Thats what I was planning too do (part my old 35 out on ebay) I was thinking I'd get like $75 for the shafts, $40 for the carrier/gears, and like $30 for the drum brake brackets & drums. I might have to give away the housing, lol. I'll be listing a bunch of parts when I'm done to help recoup some of the costs from my buildup and fund my '00 build. I'm keeping the old hp d30 off of my '94 to swap into my '00 XJ that has a low pinion d30 on it now (I'll sell the lp d30). I'll be doing a real mild build on that one basically giving it the 'upcountry' package (bb, stock skids, etc), swapping in a 242 for the 231 and giving it some rear discs off of a ZJ Thanks again for the help.

Using a second set of XJ main leaves as AALs results in 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" of lift -- starting from a stock suspension. Starting from a leaf pack with a 3" AAL in it, I'd be surprised if you get more than 1/2" of additional lift. IMHO the best you should hope for would be to bring your 3" AAL back up to 3"

If Rusty's overload leaf adds 1" to a pack with a 3" AAL, it isn't like an MJ or S-10 overload leaf. The MJ overload leaf is nearly flat, short, very thick -- and the ends don't touch the spring pack until a LOT of weight has been put into the box. That's why they are "overload" leaves -- normally they don't do anything, they only come into play when the box is loaded to (or beyond) capacity. Anything that works all the time and adds lift to the stock springs cannot rightly be described as a "overload" spring.

Eagle said:
Using a second set of XJ main leaves as AALs results in 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" of lift -- starting from a stock suspension. Starting from a leaf pack with a 3" AAL in it, I'd be surprised if you get more than 1/2" of additional lift. IMHO the best you should hope for would be to bring your 3" AAL back up to 3"

If Rusty's overload leaf adds 1" to a pack with a 3" AAL, it isn't like an MJ or S-10 overload leaf. The MJ overload leaf is nearly flat, short, very thick -- and the ends don't touch the spring pack until a LOT of weight has been put into the box. That's why they are "overload" leaves -- normally they don't do anything, they only come into play when the box is loaded to (or beyond) capacity. Anything that works all the time and adds lift to the stock springs cannot rightly be described as a "overload" spring.

Thanks Eagle thats exactly what I wanted to hear about using the extra mainleafs. I'm trying to stay under the magical 4” number in the rear for fear of needing a sye and to keep it close to level with the front that has 3” rustys coils. I was just putting the extra mainleafs in to beef up the existing ones. As far as the rustys overloads go the only lift I was expecting was from the thickness of the leaf. If they aren't completely flat they'll go back for a refund and I'll find some flat ones someware else. I just hate to make the 1 ½ hour round trip drive to the only good pick and pull nearest me just for some overloads.
Here is a little fun fact I observed about the rustys 2” aals I have they have the exact same arch as the 3rd leaf in the XJ pack. I'm leaning towards using them instead of the 3” ones because of that. I think they should flex better, ride softer, and fight the other springs less thus maintaining there lift hight longer.
Any input as to an online place to find full length leaf liners??? (nm found them)
Thanks again

Last edited:
Back